Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason ‘19-‘20

Guys that bowhunt out west don't think a second thought about taking those long distance shots. But they also practice them constantly much the same as Mason apparently has. Our next door neighbor and his son head out west every year and their range in their yard is pegged out to 120 yards. Yes it's a little different out there and follow up shots are occasionally the way the animal goes down for good but they also know the difference between an alert deer vs. one that is distracted or calm. I have heard them make the statement that the further away you are the less the sound of the bow going off makes any impact on them reacting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Guys that bowhunt out west don't think a second thought about taking those long distance shots. But they also practice them constantly much the same as Mason apparently has. Our next door neighbor and his son head out west every year and their range in their yard is pegged out to 120 yards. Yes it's a little different out there and follow up shots are occasionally the way the animal goes down for good but they also know the difference between an alert deer vs. one that is distracted or calm. I have heard them make the statement that the further away you are the less the sound of the bow going off makes any impact on them reacting.
I’ve always said the same thing. My two best bucks were shot just over 40 yards. They just stood there and caught it. Mason killed his buck last year at 52. The first thing he said was, “You were right, he just stood there and caught it”. This year’s deer was so far away he thought he missed, and then he heard the thump.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve not been keeping up with this very well but I doubt anyone needs to read my complaints about the season so far...
I’ve been gimpy for seemingly forever, 11 weeks now. My back has shown recent improvement however so I decided I was taking Ruger and our newest Brit pup to the field. Best thing I’ve done in months! Ruger pointed the first bird within a minute of me letting him out of the box. I hadn’t even turned Peanut lose! I stuffed a shell in my gun and promptly missed!
Ruger and Peanut hunted well together even though Peanut is new to the game. He even honored one of Rugers points which is something we have never worked on. He’s gonna be a good one in a few years.
I enjoy this stuff so much more than sitting in a flipping tree. I don’t know why I torture myself in pursuit of deer.
B4A82C0B-7A32-44C6-83ED-8F5423939C6C.jpeg
4563CDF2-2938-4684-B7E3-C03C3B763CAF.jpeg
CF29A267-94A0-439B-988C-F0A25972F455.jpeg
31F025C4-5F3D-40E0-8166-08D03441879B.jpeg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Next week deer hunting will be fun again, Brock. Time to change the pace. I may carry a climber tomorrow and hunt an area I haven't hunted yet this year tomorrow. One last hoorah before gun season. Although. . . Chasing the dogs sounds like a blast too!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Next week deer hunting will be fun again, Brock. Time to change the pace. I may carry a climber tomorrow and hunt an area I haven't hunted yet this year tomorrow. One last hoorah before gun season. Although. . . Chasing the dogs sounds like a blast too!
Oh I’m still a gluten for punishment. Went to a tree tonight. Had fun though. Saw ten antlerless, six of which were directly under me. That’s fun.

Reactions: hickslawns and Joel

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Spent a couple hours yesterday hunting birds before the feast. Clint and I killed two roosters and a quail.
This morning Mason and I took the beagles our for their first run of the year. We only had an hour and a half. Saw three, killed two.
EDCE17B2-9169-4F2A-9F00-C2EFDEF8EC37.jpeg
0C203C79-2805-4F9C-80EC-E8804A1AF9F3.jpeg
EDCE17B2-9169-4F2A-9F00-C2EFDEF8EC37.jpeg