Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason, 2017

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock, have you hunted them out west yet? If not you and Mason should take a road trip sometime in the near future...before he gets preoccupied with girls and whatnot. Lol.

Keep up the good work. Hunting birds over good dogs it's about as fun as it gets!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock, have you hunted them out west yet? If not you and Mason should take a road trip sometime in the near future...before he gets preoccupied with girls and whatnot. Lol.

Keep up the good work. Hunting birds over good dogs it's about as fun as it gets!

I have not. I've been trying to find someone to go to Kansas in the next couple weeks. Their season is in until January 31. Unfortunately, even retired friends like Tony can't seem to do short notice trips. I think some folks should stop all this planning nonsense and just get in the truck. :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have not. I've been trying to find someone to go to Kansas in the next couple weeks. Their season is in until January 31. Unfortunately, even retired friends like Tony can't seem to do short notice trips. I think some folks should stop all this planning nonsense and just get in the truck. :)

Funny. Earlier this year I was thinking of doing a December trip to Kansas. Just didn't work out. I would normally say count me in for a January trip, but with this forecast we'll be ice fishing on Erie the next few weeks... So I'm out. Lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've checked with four bird hunting nuts close by. Wife having surgery; can't get off work, too busy at the preserve and my personal favorite: daughter has basketball games. Ha. Wtf! I don't blame them though. It's hard to get motivated at the end of season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's been an interesting year so far. I'll just hope it improves as time goes on. We haven't been hunting or anything fun due to illness and Other nonsense. So finally today, Mason and I went out to the gar hole farm. The fellas that sub lease it are done for the year so we are going to try a little doe hunt with our recurves to end the season. There seems to be plenty of deer still using the property. There hasn't been any deer killed in the farm the last couple of years. Maybe we'll change that. We saw a couple while scouting today. Just beyond these deer is the tree from which Phil's son killed his first deer a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 239

Jamie

Ohio
good luck. seeing deer in late season is easy, killing them at close range with a stick bow at end of season is extremely difficult. didn't we walk through there squirrel hunting last year?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, killed a couple too. I saw one yesterday way down in the valley below the old barn. You can see squirrels a long way with that much snow on!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That was where you shot that squirrel from a mile away...with a cricket!

Yes, same farm but we will be hunting on the west side of the property.
We are set up perfectly for anything but a west wind. Of course west winds are predicted for the next two days at least. We are heading out to shop for bows and other stuff we really don't need instead of hunting tonight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We hunted the gar hole tonight. Saw six. Mason was in the hot seat and when offered a ten yard shot, he decided not to shoot. Dumb kid. He is going back tomorrow, I think. There are still some dandy bucks on that farm. It took them almost 10 hours to find the new corn pile.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had good video, told him to shoot and he said "nah". Ha.

I honestly have no idea how folks don't knock deer flat on that property. The year I had hunters in, there were six folks that hunted it aside from Phil and Garrett. No deer killed. I took two kids out there that season and both shot bucks by 9. It took us 30 minutes to put a buck in front of another friend during shotgun season. There hasn't been a deer shot off the place the last two years. In all fairness, the guys hunting it have limited time since they are from NC and they are selective.

These guys are at the corn regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 284