Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2020

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
E9767DFA-D52E-4C6E-84A7-D53F9BC5EFA1.jpeg

Tonight

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was able to avoid work tonight. After seeing Joe and Ho take the reigns today, I needed to get in the woods in a bad way. I took my little bow to the neighbors farms and settled into a groundblind overlooking a cut bean field. It’s a great late season spot. Little green stuff volunteers in the field after harvest every year and deer hammer it on mild weather days this time is year. We have corn dumped back there too but very few deer are paying attention to it. I suppose that is because there is plenty of natural food available to them right now. I saw 17 or 18 deer tonight. It was an absolute blast. I missed a big doe due to my string tracker getting tangled on something. Fortunately the string broke about three feet behind the broadhead and did not come back at me. I have no idea what I had it wrapped up on but I’ll be sure to pay closer attention in the future. The deer didn’t even really spook but they did move off after the shot. A short while later four more came by the blind and I shot one of them with no string attached. The blood trail was pretty sparse for the first 50 yards or so, but she leaked a lot the last 20. Mason helped track her down and did all the dragging. Glad to have him along for the hard part. I’m done for real now. Mason still wants to get his first trad kill but won’t be hunting until next Monday evening. He’s got two good set ups ready to go as long as he gets a wind with a little west in it.
BC4C3E2F-E6DD-4D36-B195-154A030FE1BE.png
40654D39-377C-4F82-A85C-86E4E3E29215.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
congrats. nice job. you couldn't pay me to attach a string tracker to my bow. one more thing that can go wrong.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
congrats. nice job. you couldn't pay me to attach a string tracker to my bow. one more thing that can go wrong.
Well, I’ll be tying it on again next season. It was a huge pain in the tail to find this deer. If I’d have had the string hooked up it would have been a simple task - provided it did not snag up again. 😁. I heard the deer fall, but she did not go where I thought. She turned as soon as she went into the woods, took us a long time to sort that out. It would have just been really nice to have the string to follow.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice Brock.... As always great to follow along on your endeavors... One question... How the hell did you get it done with no camo on??? No special scent lok.... Amazing, what are the camo companies gonna say??? Congrats again...

Reactions: finelyshedded