Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cellular Cams..

Stressless

Keene, OH
Well - here's the setup - I tried 15 different ways to add it the above post but it wouldn't take it. Just hinky...
solar cam.JPG

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finally broke down and added a couple cell cams. Only have one in service so far. I went Browning. Not overly pleased with the monthly costs compared to some others. At least not after reading what some of you are paying. I'm not dropping close to $40/mo on two cams with unlimited pics. I'll try the lower number of pics for now and see if that is enough. Unlimited sounds nice for $15/mo. (I think I read that in a post here on Spypoint?) Initial cost was a bit more as well. mSRP $220 I think? I don't remember. I paid less. But I am plenty happy with picture quality so far. I may reduce the quality to extend battery life just to see what "reduced quality" pics look like. EDIT: camera has low, medium, high, and ultra. these pics are on medium. Time will tell if they eat batteries or give me issues. Hopefully not. If so, I'll add solar powered battery backup or something. Love the idea of staying out of an area. Too bad my buddy went and hunted this "rut time only stand" on opening day because his dick was hard to get in the stand. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here are some samples. The same 2 does and 2 fawns we see on the property following last year's EHD. And one of our bucks. Going to be a couple of rebuilding years. That's alright. It's early. I may be pleasantly surprised as the season progresses.

Screenshot_20210927-000731.png

Screenshot_20210926-235223.png

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Phil... Good Luck with the cameras... I believe Browning plans are one of the more expensive plans out there... However Browning does make great cameras....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks good Phil. Tactacam $13/month for unlimited, each extra camera added is an additional $12/month. They are tough to find though so getting your foot in the door of cell cams is better than waiting.
Tactacam was my first choice but couldn't find them. Reading $12/mo for additional? If you have 2-3-4 maybe Browning isn't so bad. The second cam will add $5/mo. For one cam they are pricey in my cheapskate eyes.

Reactions: Big_Holla

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I’m up to 5 SPYPOINT cell setups now… 2 Link DARK, 1 Link EVO, and 2 Cell Links. The Cell Links have given me a few fits, but once I discovered the issue and resolved it theyve since been very reliable. On my Moultrie cams, the door latch was pulling the corded memory card out ever so slightly, rendering the camera inoperable. I just had to tweak my method of routing the cable is all. The Link DARKS and Link EVO have been excellent for me. I’m going on the third season with them now. I keep fresh lithium batteries in them and keep the firmware updated. Seems to be the ticket. Very happy with them. My only complaint is I think it’s bullshit they don’t have shared data packages or discounts. But I digress.

I just added a Cuddelink system to the fleet as well. This will get used on my home farm, freeing up my cell cams for other properties further from home. So far I’ve got one Home camera and 2 Remote cameras. I just deployed them today so we’ll see how they do.

Almost all of my cameras are watching over mock scrapes right now. Most of them with a chunk of grapevine for the licking branch. Over the past few years, I’ve learned that there’s no better way to collect inventory of bucks in your area than running early October mock scrapes. I also believe they can significantly aid in determining a pattern for certain deer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Will be interesting to hear how the Cuddelink works for you. That seems to be the best option for our farm as well. I like the individual cell cams for popping up in quick locations but the link system seems like it would work the best for locations we rarely move.
I’ll try to keep you updated. I haven’t set up the cellular account yet… but hopefully I’ll get to that in the next day or so.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Will be interesting to hear how the Cuddelink works for you. That seems to be the best option for our farm as well. I like the individual cell cams for popping up in quick locations but the link system seems like it would work the best for locations we rarely move.
I was thinking the same thing, Chuck. I’ve been very interested in that system. Seems like it would be an ideal setup for my place as well

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I put the new firmware update on one of the SpyPoint Micros this morning and it's working now. Living in rural Ohio is proving to be a pain because no one carries Lithium batteries, so I won't know until later on if this fixes the second cam as well. We'll see how long they last now. The jury is still out...

Snyder10

I put the new firmware update on one of the SpyPoint Micros this morning and it's working now. Living in rural Ohio is proving to be a pain because no one carries Lithium batteries, so I won't know until later on if this fixes the second cam as well. We'll see how long they last now. The jury is still out...
Best thing I did with the micros was sell them. Some people love them though

Ohio
Any updates on the cuddlelink system? All my old cams are slowly taking a shit and I’m ready to move to the cellular cams. Thinking pretty hard about pulling the trigger on the cuddelink package with the solar chargers.

Check with the local Yoder Marts they love batteries!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Got a Spypoint link micro LTE for a Christmas present. Just got it all set up. Anyone have any experience with these units or any advice before I put it in the woods?
20211212_124748.jpg

Reactions: hickslawns

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Got a Spypoint link micro LTE for a Christmas present. Just got it all set up. Anyone have any experience with these units or any advice before I put it in the woods?

From my experience with that camera I’d return it back to the original gifter lol I had nothing but bad luck with both spy points I ran last year. Heard good and bad things about them, though. IMO, Very hit or miss. Customer service was horrible for me too. Wish you the best of luck with it though 😂

Reactions: Gern186

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Their customer service sucks, but the cameras work well when they worked. I had issues with both of mine, one after a year and the other after 6 months. Both sat on a shelf for 8 months and I tried twice to fix them to no avail until the new firmware was released in September. I replaced the cards with SanDisk Class 10 U3 cards with the new firmware and put fresh batteries in them, and they've ran like a top since. (Knocking on wood...)

Trigger time is excellent...

Screenshot_20211212-205647_SPYPOINT.jpg

Pic quality is good enough...

Screenshot_20211212-205905_SPYPOINT.jpg

App is decent, as is the battery life. Again, when they work, they're a good camera. But they're generally unreliable and if anything goes wrong, don't even waste your time calling customer service.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Their customer service sucks, but the cameras work well when they worked. I had issues with both of mine, one after a year and the other after 6 months. Both sat on a shelf for 8 months and I tried twice to fix them to no avail until the new firmware was released in September. I replaced the cards with SanDisk Class 10 U3 cards with the new firmware and put fresh batteries in them, and they've ran like a top since. (Knocking on wood...)

Trigger time is excellent...

View attachment 142123

Pic quality is good enough...

View attachment 142124

App is decent, as is the battery life. Again, when they work, they're a good camera. But they're generally unreliable and if anything goes wrong, don't even waste your time calling customer service.

i need to try the better SD try. I have 2 that work and one that doesn’t.

I’ll say best way to get a response from them is their online chat function. They actually respond!!

mrbighorns

Medina
X2 on the chat. Both times i used it they responded quick. I have mine going on 2 years. Only issue so far was a firmware issue. Pics aren’t the clearest but it was on sale for $89.