Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cellular Cams..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've shit on SpyPoint pretty hard in this and deservedly so given our history with them around here. My first SP Link Micro dies after 10 months, the second at 6 months and neither were worked all that hard. When I called their customer service, I knew more about troubleshooting cameras than the person helping me, so we didn't get any further than I had. In September, they released a new firmware that cured the problem. It was a literal bug in the system. I was in 3rd gear going 15mph or so when this pic qas taken. It's (actually) 25 here at the house and this cam has been out since September.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but when these things work, they work really well.

spypoint.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just brought in one of my micros yesterday.... batteries finally went dead. This past season hasn't been consistent w/ my micros as last year. More cams, better chance of fuckery. Some cams would start sending a pic every 2 min for no reason, but that resolved. My newest micro eats batteries or takes pics all too often, so I had to adjust the delay setting to make things work. The 1st micro I put out last June is still out & still on the same batteries. I had mentioned earlier about Cabelas having a sale on the solars, & since I have good luck with the one I have, so I jumped on for another. What a fuggin nightmare...... they sent me a verizon when I ordered an AT&T & didn't know it. That thing gave me fits & I went over & over w/ spypoint CS, which you have to do an online chat. It's so time consuming & exhausting. Anyway, I got them to send me a replacement but it would have to be a reg micro & by then I didn't care. They sent me a verizon !. I told that cocksucker to be sure it was for AT&T. Sooooooo, I had to start the process all over again explaining the situation... all thru the online chat. I like my micros, I really do, but if you ever have to contact them, just shoot yourself, you'll feel better.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm curious if anyone else has noticed cell cameras missing a ton of pics. Walked by mine in the way out last night. Stood in front of it a bit. Took one pic. Walking in today. Was in front of it for a good bit again. One pic. I've sat in the stand and watched deer in front of them and not gotten any pics.

I have Browning and Tactacam. 4 have been out since spring. Same batteries. Some showing 100%. Haven't swapped cards either. I wouldn't think either would affect them in regards to triggering the cameras. Maybe the cards at full? But again, that shouldn't matter for anything besides back ups.Similar disappointments with both brands.

Reactions: Gern186

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm curious if anyone else has noticed cell cameras missing a ton of pics. Walked by mine in the way out last night. Stood in front of it a bit. Took one pic. Walking in today. Was in front of it for a good bit again. One pic. I've sat in the stand and watched deer in front of them and not gotten any pics.

I have Browning and Tactacam. 4 have been out since spring. Same batteries. Some showing 100%. Haven't swapped cards either. I wouldn't think either would affect them in regards to triggering the cameras. Maybe the cards at full? But again, that shouldn't matter for anything besides back ups.Similar disappointments with both brands.

I'm sure their hosted service is getting slammed this time of year. One of my biggest concerns with manufacturers all going to an app using a shared service model.

The other concern is it gives them the power to agree in unspoken terms to incrementally increase service prices and add a bunch of BS fees like requesting HD pics etc.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

When that happens to me, I’ll reformat the sd card remotely and that solves the problem most of the time.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure their hosted service is getting slammed this time of year. One of my biggest concerns with manufacturers all going to an app using a shared service model.

The other concern is it gives them the power to agree in unspoken terms to incrementally increase service prices and add a bunch of BS fees like requesting HD pics etc.
I can overlook if they don't send to the app quickly. When it is flat out missing a ton of pics? Not cool.

I'll try the reformat. Thanks for the suggestion Sarge.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I had a Reveal not taking/sending pics. They told me to pop the SIM card out and clean it. Then put it back in and turn the cam on. Started taking pics again immediately.

Hunter II

Between my dad and I we have moultrie, reveal, and bushnell cams. They all miss pics occasionally. I know some cams will not take a pic while one is uploading. If service is poor this can reduce the amount of time the cam is available to take pics.

Reactions: Spencie

Fletch

Supporting Member
Been playing with these things awhile now... They are great... BUT... Definately not foolproof... Seen deer walk in front of them and I've walked in front and no pic sent...So sometimes I'll put 2 out watching the same spot, with different results... See attached pic, see flash that's another camera plus there was a regular non cell camera there... All produced different results... So no they are not perfect...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: hickslawns
Reveal cameras it is important to use the red set up line, to put it where the lower part of the body should be on a deer. I still think they miss pictures now and then though. I subscribed to the on demand pictures and really like that feature to double check to make sure the camera is still working properly and perhaps spot deer further in the distance.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another thing with the reveal cameras is if the batteries get low at all you should definitely change them and not wait until they get below 50%.
That would explain the one camera. It has shown 70-100% and yesterday dropped to 20%. Thanks Chuck.

Reactions: Big_Holla