Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dannmann's Kentucky Escapade

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I am curious as to why you want the 45-70 over the 350 legend? I don’t much about either one, trying to educate myself.
My thought is (and I may be wrong) that the 350 would probably perform about like the .357 Max.
I'm just looking for something with more knockdown power.

This buck isn't the first questionable outcome I've had with this gun. Last year I took a shot at a deer, and it just ran off. I went to where it was standing and found no traces of blood at all. Now I may have simply missed it, but I don't think so. So I've spent a year wondering if I wounded a deer but the round didn't produce the blood/knockdown effect. I don't know, but the doubt is there.

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You knocked the deer on its butt. Let me throw another curve ball your way: could it be the ammo? I'm guessing you did your homework on this already. Just throwing out thoughts to ponder.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Can you use a 35 whelen? We can use that for primitive along w a 444 or 45-70. The 35 has same ballistics as a 30-06 and slinging a 200 grain bullet
35Whelen... Now we are talking... My favorite rifle in the safe... Better known as the "Poor Man's Magnum"... Don't know laws in Kentucky but in Ohio it would be illegal as it's not a straight walled cartridge... I'm thinking Dan wants an all around gun... So.... And I'll probably catch some flak for this... But... First thing is throw that pop gun 357 in the garbage (actually sell) and buy a real deer gun... Don't know a whole hellava lot about the newer straight wall cartridges but I'd definately go with a 45/70.... Again just my opinion.... And again Dan, thought you liked the heart, you ain't eating the lungs, so make the lungs scrambled eggs...

Reactions: Hoytmania

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Might hafta hotfoot it down to Vance's and handle this one, see if it feels right
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/58085-DEFAULT-l.jpg

That looks like the Mossberg Patriot.
I just bought one in 350 topped with Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 x 40. Took it to Spring Valley Gun Range yesterday and got it sighted in at 100yds. Seems to be a great shooter so far. Took me half a dozen shots to get it all dialed in. The next 4 were right where they should be. Didn't have a sled to really see how tight it would group.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Might hafta hotfoot it down to Vance's and handle this one, see if it feels right
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/58085-DEFAULT-l.jpg
Dan..... Don't know how the gun and ammo shortages are in Ohio, but combine these shortages with Ohio opening day right around the corner you might wanna jump on your pony and head on down to handle that gun, while it's in stock... Before you buy it better make sure you can get ammo... And as J said recoil is somewhere between a 16 and 20 gauge... About 1/2 that of a 12 gauge slug...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Dan, not knowing much about ballistics or technical side of firearms. Hunting with Austins 45-70 was a joy, and I'm considering on how I can get my hands on one of my own now.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
35Whelen... Now we are talking... But... First thing is throw that pop gun 357 in the garbage (actually sell) and buy a real deer gun... Don't know a whole hellava lot about the newer straight wall cartridges but I'd definately go with a 45/70....
No flak to be offered....you just confirmed a nagging suspicion I had. I'll keep the 357 Max because it's a great shooter, and will shoot the same ammo as my revolver. And I really like it. But I'm going to go handle 45-70's and 450 Bushmaster...see if ammo is available...then buy one.

Fletch

Supporting Member
No flak to be offered....you just confirmed a nagging suspicion I had. I'll keep the 357 Max because it's a great shooter, and will shoot the same ammo as my revolver. And I really like it. But I'm going to go handle 45-70's and 450 Bushmaster...see if ammo is available...then buy one.
Dan.... Sounds like the 450 is a nice round for what you need compared to the 45/70's.... And price wise it's about 1/2 that of a Marlin 45/70... So go handle one and see how it feels....

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
.450 Bushmaster........ Ruger American...... Bolt action, 3 round mag. Top it with a 2x7 vortex and it’ll serve you well for the remainder of your deer hunting career....
That is my set up. I love it. It’s perfect for a short armed T-Rex like me. No recoil to speak of. Extremely accurate. Destroys what it hits. Loud enough to knock them down with that alone. I use it in WV too.

Reactions: hickslawns

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That is my set up. I love it. It’s perfect for a short armed T-Rex like me. No recoil to speak of. Extremely accurate. Destroys what it hits. Loud enough to knock them down with that alone. I use it in WV too.
There’s about a half dozen of us on the site who use it. I learned there was a new member too the ranks also.... 👍🏼

Reactions: Spencie