Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dannmann's Kentucky Escapade

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My 45/70 hasn’t been to the woods since I bought the 450. I think Mason is going to take the 45/70 Monday. It has a great deal more recoil than the 450, is not nearly as enjoyable to carry. Still, it’s a great gun, it’s just not a great as the 450 for whitetail. Ruger knocked it out of the park with the simple, utilitarian rifle. Not fancy, just awesome.

Reactions: Mike and Spencie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, well I bought two boxes, which should last me till I can get a reloading die set and work up the right load. 😉
The .450 load isn’t your standard load type round. Read up on it Dan, do your homework. If I remember right it’s a roll type crimp?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My 45/70 hasn’t been to the woods since I bought the 450. I think Mason is going to take the 45/70 Monday. It has a great deal more recoil than the 450, is not nearly as enjoyable to carry. Still, it’s a great gun, it’s just not a great as the 450 for whitetail. Ruger knocked it out of the park with the simple, utilitarian rifle. Not fancy, just awesome.
Gotta say, I'm not impressed with the looks - this thing is as ugly as me.
and @"J" I don't think the reloading challenges are at all insurmountable, just not as easy as the .357Max.
What's important is seeing if I can get the same accuracy performance - I sure hope so.

Or maybe I'll just buy a bunch of boxes of the ammo and kick that can down the road some...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dan, that Hornady black is the tried and true for that gun. Lots of guys did the try all the different rounds and that one seems too be the most accurate, of the over the counter rounds.

Buckmaster

Portage
Merry Christmas Dan. I treated myself this week too.
A95D6AE9-7245-460A-BBD4-87FA293FAE3C.jpeg
A95D6AE9-7245-460A-BBD4-87FA293FAE3C.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Merry Christmas Dan. I treated myself this week too. View attachment 114646View attachment 114646
I bought one of those this summer. Took it to Ohio for clearing deadfalls from my trails. Works great but did learn something...the wood chips and oil from the bar will eventually get packed between the bar and the gear that drives it. You need to clean it really well when it gets packed or the saw will stop working. It made a slight humming noise when the trigger was depressed but she quit working. I cleaned it and it still wouldn’t run. After probing around I found a spot where it was still jammed up. Once cleaned, it ran like a champ. Nice saw for small jobs and you don’t have to worry about having a gasoline smell in your vehicle and hunting gear during transport.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
What was the distance of the paper? ( I'm wondering how tight the groups would be on a rest at 100 yards)
Nice job of the deer!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dan, I shot both the whitetail load and the ftx, both Hornady rounds this past weekend. The ftx is a 250, the whitetail is a 245. There was no significant difference in impact or grouping at 150 yards. Bullet holes were touching by just laying prone and using a Harris bipod. Those guns are capable of incredible accuracy. I’m sure you’ll find the right recipe.