Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dannmann's Kentucky Escapade

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I'm hunting in Kentucky this week on some private land that my son-in-law's family owns. Gun season started Saturday and runs for two weeks. So far I have a doe down and I shot my first Button Buck this morning. I was tripping, I thought it was a doe and when I came up on it said my prayers thanked her said told her she was wonderful then flipped her over and said "Hey, you're a dude!"

It's been good to be in the woods and away from news. I'm in town now at the laundrymat.
I think I like this Kentucky thing, you buy license and a deer tag and it comes with four deer. And you can use pretty much any gun you want, just no FMJ ammunition.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sounds great Dan.... Congrats.... Have a fun trip and a safe journey home....

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'm headed back down this weekend to our lease saw a few last weekend no bucks I wanted to shoot but they are still on the cam gonna be down there til Thanksgiving.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
57D4EB81-8AD4-4B91-9601-F919BD3E9E20.jpeg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Got a lot to catch up on, it'll take me a minute or two because I'm stuck using the phone not my computer. And the service here is spotty.

Just a couple of thoughts. Number one. I've been alone here since Sunday afternoon. It's nice to have the camp in the woods to myself and I've been able to try some new things without bothering anybody or being rushed rushed. For example, the dough that I took I skinned out on the ground and quartered just as though I were going to pack her out of the woods, instead of using a gambrel. That went ok. The button buck, I used a gambrel and did not feel dress him before I skinned him and quartered him on the Gambrell. This method is one that the neighbor here uses, and I'd seen a video on it before. I kind of like it, but not really sure that I do. I may try it again but I don't think I like it. Here's a video:

But all in all, it's better to be in deercamp with other guys.