Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer & Turkey Expo

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Heading down tonight with Austin and one of his freinds from school. going to take my most recent mount down so I can get an official score on it. Will be back down on Sunday to pick it up. Hope to see some of you down there.

blemas

Summit County
howdy ya'll! Life has been crazy and I haven't been online in awhile. My wife and I are headed down in a bit. I hope to see some of you there.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Bought a nice broadhead sharpener.
Bought a nice arrow puller for my target.
Bought a Booger.
Bought a pair of gun/bow brackets for my atv.

Coolest thing I saw that I liked was a storage system for inside the cap of your pickup....a nice drawer mounted on brackets up high that pulled out and down...very cool

I was disappointed that I didn't see or run in to any TOO brothers there....I kinda hurried because the buddy I came with had his arm in a sling, I'd have stayed longer if I was by myself...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So how was it? Anything innovative that you really liked? I wasn't able to make it down.

Beentown

Innovative? Umm, there was a rattling system strapped to the leg of the exhibitor that looked like big Legos. Had the other part of it in their hand and ran it up and down the part on their leg. I just didn't think it sounded realistic. That was the only thing I noticed that was different. Looks like the same old reinvention of the wheel.

My buddy and I went halves on a Muddy camera arm. We each bought a bow bat from Gameplan Gear. I look forward to using it. There is a new sling for your bow coming from them soon. I think many of you guys will like that one. My buddy and I also both bought a Warm Bag. (Insert lewd comments here.) Much like the Heater Body Suit or IWOM, this is basically a big sleeping bag you hunt out of. $99 for a waterproof and windproof bag with a lifetime warranty. I know what many of us spend on a good set of hunting gear. I think this will prove to be a good investment on the long days in stand.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did see one other thing semi-innovative. They had a 3 bladed broadhead with a ring around it. Supposedly cuts a 1" hole. I didn't talk to the exhibitor. I am thinking a sharp fixed BH properly placed is going to kill a deer just as well. I am also thinking if you hit the shoulder a fixed BH might blow thru it or deflect a bit where this one is not going to. It was different and made me think, but I was not sold. They appeared to be priced within line of any other set of broad heads. I thought I heard him say $30ish.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I got my pocket knife sharpened, and then spent way too much money on their crappy food for lunch.

My son had a good time though, and that's really what I was there for.

Picked up a Slunger Hollow dvd, but haven't had the chance to sit down and watch it yet.

As far as new & innovating, I liked the concept behind the telescoping ladder & stand combo that was there. BUT, it could only go up 14', and the total weight of the ladder & stand was over 40lbs. Good idea, but I'll stick to LW sticks & a hang on, or use my climber.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I got my pocket knife sharpened, and then spent way too much money on their crappy food for lunch.

Picked up a Slunger Hollow dvd, but haven't had the chance to sit down and watch it yet.

As far as new & innovating, I liked the concept behind the telescoping ladder & stand combo that was there. BUT, it could only go up 14', and the total weight of the ladder & stand was over 40lbs. Good idea, but I'll stick to LW sticks & a hang on, or use my climber.

I've never seen any of their dvd's; guys around here have posted positive comments about 'em before.
All I can say is: SLUNGER HOLLOW is a coolass name for a hunting outfit. :smiley_coolpeace:

I missed that telescoping ladder, wish I'd seen it. You got a name or a website?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've never seen any of their dvd's; guys around here have posted positive comments about 'em before.
All I can say is: SLUNGER HOLLOW is a coolass name for a hunting outfit. :smiley_coolpeace:

I missed that telescoping ladder, wish I'd seen it. You got a name or a website?

Here ya go.... http://www.outdoor-life-products.com/

Although it's innovative, I just saw one more "con" on the system.... the price tag for buying the ladder & stand combo, holy shnikies!!!! $747. :smiley_crazy:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow! All I can say is they must have a real niche market that WANTS their products. I thought about putting in a message about dealer inquiries, but I won't buy merchandise to sell that I would not use myself. I cannot see paying that much money for something. That is absurd!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

Watched some of it last night....ummmm uhhhh

Ill just say its not the same as it used to be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Watched some of it last night....ummmm uhhhh

Ill just say its not the same as it used to be.

I was a Slunger fanboy and held them on a pedestal for a long time. Then I did my stint with BEC and learned some "insider" knowledge. Let's just say I didn't bother buying a DVD this year and that pedestal has long since tumbled. This is the first year I haven't bought a DVD from them since they started TOO. I no longer have any "heroes" or "idols" in the hunting industry and some of the Slunger clan were to last to go from that list.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have most of their videos up to 2008. I didn't buy this year's video and they were out of the 2009 video. This year and last year i did the 4/$10 and that is how I have gotten my collection. I have noticed they give a lot more time to their sponsors on the newer videos. I guess somebody has to pay the bills. I am not sure what Jesse is referring to, and I don't think I want to know. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I think the videos are pretty good and they appear to be down to Earth guys making a living doing what they enjoy. Plenty of youngsters and selection of weapon variety. They put down some studs and they don't force the products down your throat like some of the videos do. Mainly a simple list of sponsor's products used and maybe a brief mention in the follow up. All in all, they are good videos to watch in my opinion.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think the pimping and over production got worse in the last two 2008 and 2009. Obviously, I can't speak for the latest one. I felt they hit their stride in 2006 and 2007. Outside of the Drury's, I think those two Slunger vidoes are among the best videos on the market, particularly for an Ohioan. But things, change and so did their videos IMO. They kill some studs and I love the general format, but things aren't the same for me as a "fan". Course, I haven't watched a video in almost a year and I own 80+!!! I just haven't had the same fire for seeing deer on my TV constantly as I did at one time, so maybe that's what has made me more critical or picky...

I won't go into details on the other shit. Suffice it to say, Phil was right and ignorance IS bliss...