Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well fuck me! I’ve been feeding my dog this since a puppy. Thought I was paying more for better food. I didn’t even check to see who the manufacturer was. Never was a fan of diamond food.
We just lost one of the beagles in February and she’s had diamond since she was 3...

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I’m wondering if this is legit, just a bad batch or should I swap. Looking at 4 health now. How old was your beagle J when it passed?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’m wondering if this is legit, just a bad batch or should I swap. Looking at 4 health now. How old was your beagle J when it passed?
She wold of been 12 this spring. She had a good run, just wondering what if is all... FWIW we were just looking at the 4 health as well...

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
She wold of been 12 this spring. She had a good run, just wondering what if is all...

I would have to say that’s a normal life span. Just got me worried now with this food. Pay more to potentially poison my dog... I don’t think so. I almost chose 4 health. I need to take a better look

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would have to say that’s a normal life span. Just got me worried now with this food. Pay more to potentially poison my dog... I don’t think so. I almost chose 4 health. I need to take a better look
She came down with cancer in November.... She was getting close too her shelf life experation but she was full of piss and vinegar before that...

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Sorry to hear this J. I’ve always fed my dogs science diet, just felt there was something better and I was searching for grain free.

SD was 33$ for 40 pounds. Tastes was 50$ for 48 pounds

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sorry to hear this J. I’ve always fed my dogs science diet, just felt there was something better and I was searching for grain free.
Thanks buddy, we just switched over too this

Attachments

• 775F0523-A118-46B7-8F07-A3D9B62BC423.jpeg
    775F0523-A118-46B7-8F07-A3D9B62BC423.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 196

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We just lost one of the beagles in February and she’s had diamond since she was 3...

Interesting. Our beagle was around 9 and had been on Diamond "maintenance" for most of the time we had her. Makes me wonder? She was too young to go. No warnings. Just checked out. Like you said, it won't change anything. She is gone now.

Lundy

If you spend some time researching dog food alerts and recalls you will see that finding a safe food for your dog is a very difficult task. Addtionally some of the recent fads "grain free" are now manifesting themselves with harmful results.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/30/grain-free-exotic-dog-food-linked-to-heart-disease/

When we lost our golden Charlie last September at 9-1/2 years old it was devastating. When I researched the cancer strain that killed him and learned that 60% of ALL goldens, labs and German sherpards in the us will die of cancer it was eye opening to say the least. When we decided to get a new puppy I did a bunch of reading on dog foods and supplements. All of that research really didn't necessarily identify perfectly safe and healthy foods but it sure eliminated a bunch from my list. The breeder was feeding Heritage Acana fresh water fish and we have continued with that food but even they had problems at their KY facility. I don't know if a perfect solution exists other that us making their food ourselves, all we can do is try and educate ourselves and make the best decisions we can. I do believe the fairly new grain free fad may disappear in a few years as the long term results manifest itself in our pets.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All dog foods have had their share of recalls. Shit happens. But diamond and it's branches are definitely some of the worst. Those big names like Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo are nothing more than expensive marketing to real consumers in. It's just not very high quality kibble. Just because it says "grain free" on the bag or has a picture of a wolf doesn't mean it's good food. DogFoodAdvisor is the best site to research dog foods.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well fuck me! I’ve been feeding my dog this since a puppy. Thought I was paying more for better food. I didn’t even check to see who the manufacturer was. Never was a fan of diamond food.

DogFoodAdvising still gives this 4 stars and the reviews nearly everywhere are positive. I just bought a bag last night, but I do agree it is a little carb heavy. I'd love to make my own dog food, but I simply have too many irons in the fire to take on that chore too.

I'll feed out this bag and see what else I can find locally that's even better.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My apologies in advance. I might get picture heavy the next few days. Otis is a sweetheart. Neglected. Taken to pound. Picked up by rescue. Dropped at Vet. Neutered. Boarded. Picked up by volunteer to transport. Exchanged over to me today. He was in my truck 30 seconds and laid down to nap. He is the most chill boxer I've ever met. I think he might be broken. Lol. We will let him decompress for 2-3 weeks. Get his mind in a neutral state. Then begin working him on invisible fence and basic obedience. Honestly though, he may not need much. Walks on a leash well. Minds me when I tell him to quit licking his incision. He is awesome!

Definitely neglected. We will work on slowly fattening him up to a healthy weight.

Attachments

• IMG_20190309_123654.jpg
    IMG_20190309_123654.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20190309_115151.jpg
    IMG_20190309_115151.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20190309_115141.jpg
    IMG_20190309_115141.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20190309_115134.jpg
    IMG_20190309_115134.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20190309_112054.jpg
    IMG_20190309_112054.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20190309_105914.jpg
    IMG_20190309_105914.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20190309_101231.jpg
    IMG_20190309_101231.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 236

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn he’s skinny.... May wanna put him on a raw meat diet for a couple weeks too get the weight back on... Daughter and sil has to do that to their rescue shepherd....

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My apologies in advance. I might get picture heavy the next few days. Otis is a sweetheart. Neglected. Taken to pound. Picked up by rescue. Dropped at Vet. Neutered. Boarded. Picked up by volunteer to transport. Exchanged over to me today. He was in my truck 30 seconds and laid down to nap. He is the most chill boxer I've ever met. I think he might be broken. Lol. We will let him decompress for 2-3 weeks. Get his mind in a neutral state. Then begin working him on invisible fence and basic obedience. Honestly though, he may not need much. Walks on a leash well. Minds me when I tell him to quit licking his incision. He is awesome!

Definitely neglected. We will work on slowly fattening him up to a healthy weight.
That’s awesome. I wish I could hit the like button more than once!😊

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Damn he’s skinny.... May wanna put him on a raw meat diet for a couple weeks too get the weight back on... Daughter and sil has to do that to their rescue shepherd....

Hmm I wouldn’t, I could be wrong but raw red meat isn’t good for any dog. Hard to digest. I would suggest a balanced dog food for high energy dogs. You can sweeten the food by adding some warm water making it softer and will eat more than just dry food. Just my opinion.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nervous about what to feed him after reading some of the recent threads on food. Lol

I'm going with the Purina Pro Plan I had Hank on. Small servings, multiple times a day. Let him digest it rather than just poop it all out. Put the weight on him slowly.