Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First nights are always the worst...I hope you both continue to impress each other! Seems like you all really needed this, Otis included.

Especially first nights with thunder and lightning crashing most of the night. . . .he was fine. OR maybe I just slept like a rock? Lol

He had zero issues going in and out of the cage. We brought it in around dinner time. He doesn't whine and beg. He just sits next to you and stares. I'm thinking he has seen table scraps before. 😁

So he was in the cage while we ate. We let the door open after dinner and he spent the night wandering in and out of it. Come bedtime, closing the door and leaving him in there was zero issue. Talk about a blessing!

Our kids would half enter the cage to give him loving while he was chilling. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190309_205632.jpg
    IMG_20190309_205632.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 371

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd feed him the Pro Plan and see what happens. It's pretty good stuff. Most boxers are all pretty skinny anyway so I wouldn't expect to fatten him up very fast. Just don't feed him too much volume or he'll just give you diarrhea in return.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd feed him the Pro Plan and see what happens. It's pretty good stuff. Most boxers are all pretty skinny anyway so I wouldn't expect to fatten him up very fast. Just don't feed him too much volume or he'll just give you diarrhea in return.

Yeah. With a monitored diet the boxers maintain a slim figure. Just reducing the amount of ribs protruding and seeing a little bulk on him will make me happy. He has been seeing 2 cups a day in the pound kennel. Doubt it was quality food. He got 3 cups yesterday and today so far but will see a fourth tonight. I am delivering one measured cup at time. We'll keep him on 4 cups a day until we see where he stands. At least a couple weeks before modifying. No diarreah so far has been a blessing. Boxers are weak stomached dogs.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Otis: welcome to the shop. Now sit down so I can get your picture. That was a little battle of the wills. He finally gave in. Trying to go light on training but he knows how to sit. Lol

He has taken a fondness to Garrett. Laid on the blanket while Garrett worked on Homework off and on all day. I came in from the basement to kennel Otis and this is where I found him. Normally our daughter is "second in charge of dogs." I believe Garrett may take over with Otis. I'll kennel him before I go to bed but having a little bond with your youngest isn't a terrible thing. Plus if the dog feels comfy in there. . .

Attachments

• IMG_20190310_230512.jpg
    IMG_20190310_230512.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_20190310_224345.jpg
    IMG_20190310_224345.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 341

Big Weff

Athens
We just added a new member to the family about a month ago. We waited about a year from the time our last dog passed, had him since I was 14 and had to put him down due to cancer last year. Easily the single hardest thing I've ever had to do and as many on here i sat on the floor with him in his last moments. The new pup is a black lab we got from the pound at 5 months old. I'm going to try my hand at training this dog to be a retriever as I dabble in chasing duck and geese.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You ain't a kidding J. Hard to believe this July will be 2 years. We have number 2 due in June as well. We may have bit off more than we can chew getting a puppy in addition to having 2 under 2 for a brief time haha
You’ll be fine, teach him the basic commands and don’t turn your back on him for a while.... That can be used for both of em 😂

Reactions: bowhunter1023

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice. I knew it wasn't 70-72. Thinking 73-74 are similar. Didn't know for sure when they swapped over to that body. 75-77 I believe are this style. Possibly other years.

Ok. Back to the dog thread. I'll take my "Deputy Dog" sleuthing hat off now. :)