Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I recognize other dogs make good dogs, but in terms of best odds of getting a good one, labs are Top-5 without argument. These two are a joy and I don't second-guess getting two at the same time at all. They're two completely different personalities just like our kids. They're great with the girls and Lulu is their bud. In fact, she and Gunnar are tight. Bailey has moments where she looks like Remi and Gunnar acts a lot like him. We're launching the boat tomorrow to fish and scout for waterfowl spots. Bailey gets to make the maiden voyage for training purposes.

These two really enriched our lives.

20190607_180922.jpg
20190607_180849.jpg
20190607_180726.jpg

Bigcountry40

I would like to introduce a new addition to our family, she will be
I recognize other dogs make good dogs, but in terms of best odds of getting a good one, labs are Top-5 without argument. These two are a joy and I don't second-guess getting two at the same time at all. They're two completely different personalities just like our kids. They're great with the girls and Lulu is their bud. In fact, she and Gunnar are tight. Bailey has moments where she looks like Remi and Gunnar acts a lot like him. We're launching the boat tomorrow to fish and scout for waterfowl spots. Bailey gets to make the maiden voyage for training purposes.

These two really enriched our lives.

View attachment 80124View attachment 80125View attachment 80126
I showed my wife the picture of the labs in the back of the kubota, she almost let me buy a lab, but decide against it because she doesnt want me duck hunting until the boys are 18. very cool pics

Bigcountry40

Since my wife and I knew for about a month about pipers condition, we decided that since she is a teacher the best time to get a dog and train them in desirable weather would be this summer. We researched and discussed different breeds, I really wanted a blood hound or a german shorthair for obvious reasons. My wife wanted something that would protect our flock. We heard good things about aussie doodles, researched them and agreed. I do plan to train her to retrieve if possible. I only dove hunt 4 or 5 times a year, so by no means will her success determine our happiness, Willow be a working family farm dog with that serve multiple purposes. I may have to stop over and see my buddy Jim (jagermeister) more some pointers/advice

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Bigcountry, I don’t understand why your wife don’t want you duck hunting till your boys are 18. Are they not allowed to hunt.

Some of my best years were from 8-18 hunting ducks w my father. Am I missing something here?

Bigcountry40

Bigcountry, I don’t understand why your wife don’t want you duck hunting till your boys are 18. Are they not allowed to hunt.

Some of my best years were from 8-18 hunting ducks w my father. Am I missing something here?
I've never duck hunted, its a money pit and my wife is already a widow during bow season. From my understanding duck hunting is like "super crack"

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How far would you go too protect your pups when they’re attacked by another dog and you can’t separate them?
Wife has a coworker who’s sons dog was attached by a pit bull and couldn’t separate them. He got bit while trying too by the pit.
Don’t really know the legality of what options you’d have at that point.
Dogs are considered by law as property and as such what’s your options in this case?