Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Some of the guys got to see Lulu on Sunday, but not really meet her cause she was too scared of the cold to join us! It's her first night in the living room. Girls are digging her company.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
These two have become inseparable. Pretty lucky to have these two in our lives.

View attachment 59859

Tough day in our house. We lost Remi on the way to the emergency vet clinic this morning. Friday evening he had an "episode" where he was wheezing, foaming at the mouth, tongue was purple and gasping for air. No obstruction in his air way and eventually, he recovered. I thought it could have been exhaustion from chasing Lulu all day (she is in heat), maybe a heart attack or an allergic reaction. I kept them separated yesterday and all was fine. I went outside this morning and he was doing this same, but this time I knew it was worse. He collapsed while walking twice, the last with me helping him and he stopped breathing momentarily. Even though he's blind and has milky eyes, his eyes were absent of color and I knew he wasn't going to pull through. I told Tracie to come tell him goodbye and we sat with him for a few minutes to see if he'd recover. When it was clear he was getting worse, we loaded up and tried to get to the emergency vet clinic, but he passed on the way. I'm pretty well devastated and have finally managed to stop the water works after 2 hours. Tracie is pretty tore up too. K is so used to seeing animals die, it hasn't hit her that this time it's different.

He was the first dog I ever had on my own. 10.5 years we were buddies and there will be no replacement in that regard. I was looking through pics earlier and found this one from his last hunt. He was pretty much blind by this point, but followed me to the other side of the hole and sniffed this bird out, then slowly walked it back to the blind. It would be his last retrieve. I balled the second I saw it...

DSCN0469_zpsd48a538c.JPG