Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First TOO outing

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The very very first get together I went to with this bunch of guys was when Riverdude invited me up to his place in Ashtabula for a get-together with guys from the forum. Attendees were Riverdude, CJD3, Geezer, RedCloud, and myself. And I think OhioSam showed up for trapshooting, but didn't stay overnite, unless I'm thinking of another get-together. I can't remember what year it was.

So the funny part of the story - Jeff (Riverdude) had told me that his property had a lake for fishing, and we were going to shoot bows.
I was very new to the group and didn't know alot of people, but I was happy to be invited and looking forward to meeting other outdoorsmen, like-minded people and all. So I get there, Jeff introduces me to Jim (CJD3), and Jim starts showing me around, Jeff goes off to do something else. Jim starts talking about the property...and about it's history...and about how they do this and do that...how for years they've put up Christmas lights in such a way, blah blah blah and I start thinking to myself "Oh my God, these guys are a couple....THEY'RE GAY...WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN IN TO?!?" I didn't realize the relationship was that they were brothers, and they had houses next door to each other and to their parents on the same lane....but then I decided that what the hell, they seem like alright guys, and as long as nobody flirts with me I'll stay and shoot....Imagine my relief when I learned they were brothers LMAO
Sam was there. He brought those tiny clays we were supposed to hit lol. I think the boat caught most of them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
B546E115-E010-4DAE-9C46-716EF6CC16C4.jpeg

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
The very very first get together I went to with this bunch of guys was when Riverdude invited me up to his place in Ashtabula for a get-together with guys from the forum. Attendees were Riverdude, CJD3, Geezer, RedCloud, and myself. And I think OhioSam showed up for trapshooting, but didn't stay overnite, unless I'm thinking of another get-together. I can't remember what year it was.

So the funny part of the story - Jeff (Riverdude) had told me that his property had a lake for fishing, and we were going to shoot bows.
I was very new to the group and didn't know alot of people, but I was happy to be invited and looking forward to meeting other outdoorsmen, like-minded people and all. So I get there, Jeff introduces me to Jim (CJD3), and Jim starts showing me around, Jeff goes off to do something else. Jim starts talking about the property...and about it's history...and about how they do this and do that...how for years they've put up Christmas lights in such a way, blah blah blah and I start thinking to myself "Oh my God, these guys are a couple....THEY'RE GAY...WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN IN TO?!?" I didn't realize the relationship was that they were brothers, and they had houses next door to each other and to their parents on the same lane....but then I decided that what the hell, they seem like alright guys, and as long as nobody flirts with me I'll stay and shoot....Imagine my relief when I learned they were brothers LMAO
That was a good time. Dan you still got that compound bow we were try n to set up? - lol

Reactions: Mike

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That’s a great story Dan! Funny it took years to come out. I’d never met any of you in person before that weekend. I’ve considered you all good friends since.

For me, it was the last 3-4 years of Mingo. It was the grandest gathering of men I have ever been to since my place.
E1723240-2CF1-4D93-BEA8-C5F0CDAB2FEA.jpeg

Last edited:

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Thank ya
Thank ya vera much.

I can still hear someone on the video of the show say” I’m getting hit with falling stuff.” And someone else laughing” That’s when you know your close enough” lol
Glad I got the front row seat. That was a fucking blast.

Reactions: CJD3

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honest @hickslawns stealing @Bigcountry40 quad for an hour😂. Sighting of Superman on a red Polaris. The we early morning stories. Dan's breakfast. BC getting stuck! Trade tables. Man the list could go on forever with that event.

The green pool. Probably a good thing it was already green😂
That year and the year before... two of the best outings in TOO history

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honest @hickslawns stealing @Bigcountry40 quad for an hour😂. Sighting of Superman on a red Polaris. The we early morning stories. Dan's breakfast. BC getting stuck! Trade tables. Man the list could go on forever with that event.

The green pool. Probably a good thing it was already green😂

It seemed like a really funny idea. Then I realized these guys were going for a full on ride. I had to catch up to them. By the time I did, I had zero clue where I was and had no option but to stay with them. The longer we were gone the more I questioned the idea. Jon isn't exactly a tiny fella. He took it very well. Admitted he really was TOO drunk to be out there. Had zero hard feelings over the deal. That was a big relief. :LOL:

I went camping with the football team one summer back in high school, but the coach wasn't so nice. Heck all we did was sweat! never even got to roast marsh mellows neither.

In Boy Scouts the scoutmaster and his senior patrol got everyone fired up for our first camp out by saying we would be having a "snipe hunt!" Well I knew none of them were outdoorsmen and I knew what they were up to so I went out and shot a woodcock right before the camporee! Whenever they handed out the paper bags and sticks and told us to get our flashlights and go out in the woods and yell SNIPE!, I went back to my tent got my flashlight and a now half frozen woodcock and headed out into the night. After about 5 minutes I yell. "I got one!" I run right up to the picnic table the senior patrol was sitting at and dumped it out right under their Coleman lantern light! Their chit eating grins turned to jaw dropping perplexity as they looked at each other in disbelief!! Quickly one of them got out the Boy Scout Field Manual and went to leafing through looking for a picture of a snipe. They found one directly and agreed that the bird I had possesed a long pointed bill and bug eyes on either side of the head so it must be one. So chalk one up for the tenderfoot patrol!