Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Formerly “teen”bowhunter’s 2019 season

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Welp. Dog was excited by blood but was too afraid to walk once outside of the electric fence (not my dog, little white and brown thing). Walked the whole area behind houses leading up to road and didn’t see the doe. Gonna wander around some more. This shit sucks. Shot looked good, angle should’ve crushed her. Only thing I can think is if the arrow deflected off a branch or her rib.

Reactions: Big_Holla

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Afternoon 4, didn’t hunt, morning 5, didn’t hunt. Might get out tonight.

Takeaways from the doe:

1. I resharpened the kudu I’d used on the bull, it may not have been sharp enough because that was the first time It didn’t get a full pass through.

2. Quartering shot. I thought my angle was good, but taking that shot in a neighborhood when you have limited time to search is a bad idea.

3. Glasses. I need to get contacts. These things work great when I’m practicing but in hunting situations they aren’t always on right. Forced me to pass a perfect broadside shot to let down and readjust.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Extended wear contacts
they are comfortable and you can sleep in them when camping
When I was young and my eyes produced plenty of fluid I had no problem wearing them for weeks at a time.
or just have the surgery and be done glasses or contacts

Yeah I have pretty bad astigmatism so last time I tried contacts they were way too uncomfortable for hunting trips but that was 5 years ago. Time to try again.

I’m only 22 so can’t get the surgery until my eyes are consistent for a couple years. Definitely looking forward to that!

Reactions: switchhitter

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What all the cool kids are wearing these days 😂

Attachments

• 2C3EC839-75D0-4BE5-8A36-2FB5704D1357.jpeg
    2C3EC839-75D0-4BE5-8A36-2FB5704D1357.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 311

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Evening 5:

Taking my brother out for his first time tonight.

Hunting giles, first time hunting.

I’ll have my bow for does, I’ll let him shoot with the rifle if we see a decent buck.

Reactions: giles

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Sat there for 2 hours of squirrels. We set up 30 yards from some corn I scattered a few days before. Doe season for bows, buck only for rifle. Brother was fidgeting all over the place and couldn’t figure out the whole sit still and be quiet thing [emoji23].

About 30 minutes before dark we could hear a deer coming down the hill in front of us. About the same time deer started blowing in the valley to our right. One doe made its way down in front of us while another doe and spike stood up higher stomping and blowing. The doe in front was at 20 yards, vitals covered by a tree. Two more steps and I was going to smoke her.
A few more does appeared behind us and stomped around. There was no way to spin around for a shot. The doe in front didn’t budge for the next 20 minutes so I ended up having to coyote howl to get them to leave.

Reactions: giles and Wildlife

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Morning 6:

Went back to the same place alone and stood next to a different tree. About 30 minutes after first light I heard a deer walking in. A small lone doe popped out at 30 yards, perfectly broadside and level with me. I slowly drew back with my arrow squeaking on the rest. Somehow she didn’t hear it. Just as my cam flipped over a twig stuck in the cam snapped and she took off, never to return. This ground hunting stuff is fun, but not easy with a vertical bow. I’m getting better every time though. I learned how to use my pointer finger to hold the arrow up a bit when it’s below freezing and it starts squeaking on the rest. Also a good reminder to check for twigs.

Afternoon 6, all of day 7, morning 8:

My moms wedding.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Morning 6:

Went back to the same place alone and stood next to a different tree. About 30 minutes after first light I heard a deer walking in. A small lone doe popped out at 30 yards, perfectly broadside and level with me. I slowly drew back with my arrow squeaking on the rest. Somehow she didn’t hear it. Just as my cam flipped over a twig stuck in the cam snapped and she took off, never to return. This ground hunting stuff is fun, but not easy with a vertical bow. I’m getting better every time though. I learned how to use my pointer finger to hold the arrow up a bit when it’s below freezing and it starts squeaking on the rest. Also a good reminder to check for twigs.

Afternoon 6, all of day 7, morning 8:

My moms wedding.
I always put a little bit of Vaseline on one of the cutouts of the riser and every once in a while, rub some on the rest when it gets dry. It’ll eliminate that squeak on your rest. You could also use rail lube that is made for crossbow decks. Now who is going to be the first to copy this and change a few words around then say, “fixed it for ya”? J....Giles?😂

Reactions: teenbowhunter

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Got a bit busy and didn’t keep up on hunt notes. Flying back to Portland with 50 pounds of venison and driving down to AZ in the morning.

Had a few close calls and a clean miss on a doe in the last few days in Georgia. That makes six missed opportunities on deer this year. I think I’ll be changing some things this off season...

Reactions: Big_Holla