Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fuggin Snake IN MY HOUSE

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
He looked like this one.
index.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I threw it out, but the snake is a garter snake, although the skin looked (to me) to be a bit bigger (rounder) than the actual snake was.

I didn't run so I got a good look at it and it was nice and fat, so it's certainly not starving
. The puppies were just 2-3 feet from it, so I grabbed them as it slowly went thru the petition I have up for the puppy play area box.

The mouse that is currently in the glue is a full size mouse, so I don't know if the snake will attempt to eat it or not. It was about 18 inches long....not a baby.

Sounds like a female snake to me. My ball python I had was like that when she would shed. She was 5' long when she died.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Breeding season is over though, right? I mean seriously. No chance of having babies in September???????

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Sounds like it might get kinda crowded inside the house this winter Diane.

My youngest daughter informed me that she would not be back at my house until I
1) Caught the snake or
2) in January, when it is cold outside.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that the outside temps would not affect the inside snake.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My mother back home in Mississippi posted this on facebook earlier. Now don't you guys feel like a bunch of sissies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410561940.910938.jpg

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
What exactly is it, Joe?

I gave up on catching the snake. I did catch 3 mice on the glue traps, but that got disgusting so I threw them out. I've decided that if Mr. Snake wants to eat the spiders (I have big nasty ones around) and agrees to at least stay out of my bedroom, then we can peacefully co-exist.

Yea I know, I don't really have another choice.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Is that a cross spider Joe?

I like the big black and yellow spiders you find in the mustard plants around here in the summer. Cool lookin spider for sure.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's a banana spider. They make huge webs that feel like stretchy 6lb fishing line and are usually 3-5 feet in diameter. Growing up we would catch small critters like lizards and throw them in the web to get attacked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410611951.464705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410611957.369466.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Aren't nanner spiders poisonous Joe? Apparently the dude with his hand under it doesn't think so!

There are two species with the nickname banana spider. This one here is the golden orb web spider. Mildly toxic. About like a bee sting and doesn't rot flesh. And it's really docile, they'll walk all over you arm and hand and not bite.

The other one nicknamed "banana spider", that you're thinking of is the Brazilian wandering spider that has shown up in shipments of bananas. Now that dude is one of the most poisonous in the world and very aggressive.