Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Groundhogs

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
So far I have only shot 3 but I really haven't spent as much time as I would like hunting them.

I didn't have a cam with me for the first one I rolled while it was running at about 70 yards out lol. Dante can tell you all about that one lmao.

Huckleberry Finn

Nice work!

Geesh they haven't even planted crops yet. I like to hunt 'em when the beans are coming up. Easy to see where the holes are then!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wish we had some to hunt. Yotes keep 'em thin around here. I got a Savage .17 just chomping at the bit to run a Remington Premier AccuTip through one!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The landowners have one out by their pond that is pretty slick too lol. Any little bit of movement and he shoots right back in his hole. Now most groundhogs will venture back out after about 20 minutes or so...not this one. He hits that hole he stays put and his patience is better then mine lol. I waited for an hour this morning for him to pop back out and I finally gave up on him. I have had this happen 2x now in a week. Might have to setup on him just like hunting season. Get in there before first light and just wait for him to pop out in the morning. He is kind of hard to get to since I have to be careful with my shot direction but he will fall to the ol .22 here pretty soon I think (I hope) lol.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
yea dude, same thing. he will come out and if there is the slightest movement anywhere..right back in his hole. I almost had him once this summer. Just got back to full draw and he ran...the neighbors came home

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I need to get my hands on some arrows when I get some spare funds. I'm down to 4 arrows now for hunting season since I lost 2 last year. One was from shooting at a groundhog because the first 2 didn't stop him and I just missed with the 3rd shot and it went sailing off into the weeds on the field edge. Tough little suckers if you don't hit them in the head with that arrow lol.

Last edited:

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Jesse ..... I can't offer you much to do with a deer hunt.....but where I am all farmers want ghogs dead and there is plenty to go round.....come on up

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Jesse ..... I can't offer you much to do with a deer hunt.....but where I am all farmers want ghogs dead and there is plenty to go round.....come on up

Same here... farmers love the ghog hunters around here... and it is a great way to build a relationship with a farmer for potential deer hunting ground as well.

I'm still yet to fire a round through the Savage. 17HMR! May throw my bipods on sometime in the next couple weeks and take an afternoon stroll down some ditches.

Sent via Droid2 with Tapatalk

Schu72

Streetsboro
I shot a hog this weekend. It was my first in years. I wanted to take a photo, but my Mom was with me and I didn't want to explain why I was taking pictures of a dead groundhog.....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I added another whistle pig today. Me and Dante started walking down a gravel drive / road and I see Dante make a hand gesture say look. I look up and this groundhog was peeking out of the tall grass to see what was coming down the road. Needles to say...he probably didn't see that .22 mini mag speeding toward his head at 60 yards lmao. All I could hear was a THUD and seen him roll and get stiff as a board lol. I can't wait to get my scope put on the new .22 this week :D. Iron sights are fun but a scope makes it even better lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't had time to make it out hog hunting yet this year. I am going through withdrawal.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I haven't had time to make it out hog hunting yet this year. I am going through withdrawal.

I think I have only been out a couple of time LOOKING for hogs. Seems when I go check cams and set new cams out I always carry the 22 and find them lol. I have learned over the years to never go after what your hunting...just do something completely different and let them come to you lol.

How many times have we all went deer hunting and seen nothing but squirrels or when squirrel hunting and seen deer lol.

During Ghog season I just hang cams and see them all the time...I hunt them and never see them lmao.