Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heavy snowfall...where to hunt

Schu72

Streetsboro
Bonus weekend is almost here and in Portage County we probably have 2 feet of snow and they are calling for more. Would you stay in this area and hunt a food source or head south where there is considerably less snow. I am buck hunting at this point. Not sure what to do. Last year in muzzy season the same thing happend and we got skunked in the deep snow...well I saw one little one.

What to do....:smiley_confused_vra

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I would get out within the next couple of days and start looking for trails leading from the thick stuff to a good food source.......They will still be running the same trails by the weekend with that much snow on the ground.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
They'll go to food, even if it is a couple of miles away. Good for you if that food is where you hunt. If it is some other place you might be SOL.

rrr

I've been thinking this all day - how long could I sit out in this mess?

I do think that they become a little more regular in their patterns again and you've just got to find that and intercept that.

Matt

Norton, OH
As long as the snow stays soft and quiet, I will be moving this weekend. Nice and slow, glassing on the edges of cover. Possibly attempting a few slow pushes to my buddy.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have a feeder out at one property up hear and they have been hammering it. However, of all the times I hunted it I only saw deer once. They may be hitting it at night. The property in southern ohio has a little bit of turnips and a lot less snow.:smiley_blink:

Buckmaster

Portage
Cotty,
I'm in the same boat as Schu.....hunt Portage or come down to Jefferson Co.

How much snow do you have down there?

`BM

tuffshot

The Crew
Hunt natural breaks and hill sides that the snow does not build up as much.
Deer do not want to tread in deep snow anymore than you do.
Just have to carefull getting there or they will see you and bolt.