Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How often do you check your camera's ?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This time of year, once every 3-4 weeks. No sense in letting mature deer know your around this time of year. Once the season rolls around, I'll check them as often as I can since I'm in the woods and smoked up. I move my cams to low impact areas come fall, unless it's near a stand. You can never be TOO cautious when running cams, but it's real easy to be over zealous...

This time of year, once every 3-4 weeks. No sense in letting mature deer know your around this time of year.

Well I guess I will Try and not check the camera's as often
But 2 of the 3 camera's are just off active farming areas

1 that is along the lane
As we drive past it several times a week for farm work
The other is 30' from the lane along the creek

I have deer on the camera , walking up to the mineral lick 10 min after I leave
And if we are driveing the tractor
They just move enough to not get run over

John

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Every situation is unique and it sounds like you have a good grasp of what the deer will tolerate. I learned two years ago that despite thinking you are doing things on the down low, those wily old bucks know better. I saw a drastic increase in mature buck pictures at my mineral sites when I started checking cams monthly as opposed to weekly. I like to error on the side of caution. After all, there's no real gain to be had by checking cams as often as possible this time of year...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Those "deep woods bucks" become "deep woods bucks" because of guys in the summer/fall checking their cams too often...Keep checking em ..boys:pickle: :smiley_bril:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I need to be checking mine every couple days...I'm having a lot of camera trouble this year and I've been missing a lot of days...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been once a month since hunting season ended. The exception was today because one camera was giving me issues. I had to go swap it out and I ended up moving it. Wish I hadn't moved it now but that is another story. If I am in there with the tractor mowing or working and will be near a camera, I will throw the keys and cards in my pocket to swap the cards out simply because I am already in there. If I am hunting a near a camera I will swap them. Otherwise, they stay out one month unless hunting or working in the area.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
The cams to seriuosly consider are the ones where the pics are sent right to your phone...However..this creates an ethical issue. Is it fair you can be sitting on your couch stuffing your face with a greasy pizza and your alerted that there's a big buck by your cam?.....Seems alittle unethical but it does solve the problem of physically checking your cams.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The cams to seriuosly consider are the ones where the pics are sent right to your phone...However..this creates an ethical issue. Is it fair you can be sitting on your couch stuffing your face with a greasy pizza and your alerted that there's a big buck by your cam?.....Seems alittle unethical but it does solve the problem of physically checking your cams.

It also creates a money issue. Them things are expensive!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

What benifit does that give you over a standard cam... What are you going to do? put your pizza down, shower, drive to your spot, sneak into your stand, and kill the sucker where he stood 2 hours ago?

wireless offers you absolutely zero advantage as far as killing goes over a cam you check once a week.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jack..

As a matter of fact..yes. If you are alerted that the big boy came by your stand 5 mins ago..there's a good bet he will be in the area all day or maybe a couple of days. Big bucks will hang out in a certain area for a day or maybe a couple days after a hot doe..and then they are gone. I dont know..just seems like it takes all the thrill and excitement away. There's no greater feeling seeing a mature bucks for the first time on stand while hunting..The rush is unbeleivable..On the flip side..Most hunters know the bucks so well they give em names..in which to me takes something away from the ultimate rush..Dont shortchange yourselves fellows...Get the ultimate rush by seein that big buck for the first time on stand with a gun or bow..no feeling like it.

Hey Jack..If there's No advantage, then why make em and why buy em?:smiley_coolpeace:

Ohh BTW..Im leaving for Ohio in a couple hours..Ill be in washington county, conshcoton and meigs county...Any of you fine friendly folks live in them counties?

Dinner anyone?:smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:
Jack..

As a matter of fact..yes. If you are alerted that the big boy came by your stand 5 mins ago..there's a good bet he will be in the area all day or maybe a couple of days. Big bucks will hang out in a certain area for a day or maybe a couple days after a hot doe..and then they are gone. I dont know..just seems like it takes all the thrill and excitement away. There's no greater feeling seeing a mature bucks for the first time on stand while hunting..The rush is unbeleivable..On the flip side..Most hunters know the bucks so well they give em names..in which to me takes something away from the ultimate rush..Dont shortchange yourselves fellows...Get the ultimate rush by seein that big buck for the first time on stand with a gun or bow..no feeling like it.

Hey Jack..If there's No advantage, then why make em and why buy em?:smiley_coolpeace:

Ohh BTW..Im leaving for Ohio in a couple hours..Ill be in washington county, conshcoton and meigs county...Any of you fine friendly folks live in them counties?

I am sure you use stuff that gives you a "advantage"..You hunt how you like an we will hunt how we like..An to answer the OP's question..I check my cam way more then i should..I cant stop myself

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Ohio Mossy Oak,

...Not sayin not use em..but what i am sayin it will illiminate walking to your cam every other day...in which is a good thing.:smiley_coolpeace:

Is that an invite to dinner?:smiley_bril:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jack..

Convenience. Doesn't give you any more of an advantage in actually killing the deer than a standard cam does.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Sure it does Jack...Thats what drives this Hunting industry...Convenience is the driving force of marketing.

Convenience is the quicker means to the end. Not sayin there's something wrong with Convenience. :)

Jack ..are you inviting me to dinner or what..im leavin in 30 mins.:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sure it does Jack...Thats what drives this Hunting industry...Convenience is the driving force of marketing.

Convenience is the quicker means to the end. Not sayin there's something wrong with Convenience. :)

Jack ..are you inviting me to dinner or what..im leavin in 30 mins.:smiley_clap:

But that convenience doesn't give you any advantage over a standard cam. When we invent a teleport feature that will transport me from my couch to my stand in an instant. Then i will agree a wireless cam gives you an advantage.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Cough! BULLSHIT! Cough!

Take it from someone who has ACTUALLY ran a wireless camera for the past three years, it gives you ZERO advantage in killing mature bucks. That is, above and beyond a standard camera. When you actually own one and run it for a while, get back to me with your "it makes it easier" banter. Until then, it is strictly your opinion and one that is not founded in fact, making it bullshit...