Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In Memoriam

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very sorry for your loss Brian. Definitely thinking of you and your dad this morning as I reread your post a couple times now. It’s tough for me. Not a day goes by where I don’t think of my dad and all the memories I have of him. Just doesn’t get any easier as days go by for some reason. Take care and take plenty of deep breaths.
Thanks buddy...post some pics of your Dad when ya get time. That's why I started this thread so we can honor them.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lisa and I went to my Dad's grave today for the first time since the funeral. I didn't think it would hit me that hard but that was a rough one knowing he was there, just hoping it gets better over time. He is buried next to his Mom and Dad.
The view from there is awesome though.
20210307_104732.jpg
20210307_104443.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lisa and I went to my Dad's grave today for the first time since the funeral. I didn't think it would hit me that hard but that was a rough one knowing he was there, just hoping it gets better over time. He is buried next to his Mom and Dad.
The view from there is awesome though.
View attachment 122574View attachment 122575

Hang in there buddy. Keep your head up. Try to remember that he is not there only his earthly remains. He lives on beyond our world and us everywhere with you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was with my dad the first time he visited the gravesite of my grandfather. My dad was very emotional which was something he rarely showed. I really didn’t comprehend what was happening at the time. I was probably 10 @ the time. When I visited my dads gravesite after he had passed, I understood....

It’s an ever evolving process. Your children will do the same....

It seems easy to say and maybe even easier to do but take plenty of deep breaths and stay strong. It doesn't really get any easier over time but at least you will know he raised you to be the man he once was. Remember him often and have the tough conversations you didn't have when he was there with you in person. He will be there for you. My dad's ashes are on our place down there so every time we are down and go out we go by him. It's his place to rest and some day will be mine as well. It will be for my kids and grand kids to stop and tell me how their day went or what is troubling them.

Last edited:

Floki

I personally don’t know you. Yet I surely know the pain your going through. I wish there was something I could say that would truly make things better for you.

Im very sorry for your loss. It may not seem it but things will get easier as time goes on.There will always be that spot tho in your heart and mind. I guess that’s how you truly know how great they were.

I also have many memories of coon hunting with my dad. He was a fanatic. Many nights I would wake up beside a tree alone 😝, Dad was gone and had to find my way to the tree.

I feel for ya bud. I’m at a loss of words right now.
keep your head up. Take it day by day. Wishing you the best!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After reflecting, I believe the first visit alone is tough because you don't have a crowd of mourning people with you. At the funeral it hurts. The first visit alone is more personal. More time to reflect all the memories. Maybe I had my "game face" on at the funeral? Trying to be supportive of my mom and siblings. Supportive of my dad's siblings. Going there with my wife after the funeral was a more personal moment for me to reflect. More intimate. No audience. Just dad and I. Has only been rough a couple visits since that one. The visit where I rode his motorcycle to the grave was tough too. In my mind, I know it is just his body resting there. I know his soul is at peace. That helps.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not my dad, but it's dad's hat. He wore it on many trips to the Smokies. He and mom went every year. They joined us many times on vacations in the Smokies. When dad passed I asked mom and my siblings if they had any objections to me taking his hat. He had hat pins on it. I have since added hat pins from the Rockies, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, and maybe some other stops. It's a $10-15 hat to most. It's me taking dad on more trips to me.

Lots of ways to stay close, remember, feel connected once our heroes pass on. This just happens to be one of mine. I'm sure you'll have something of your dad's you can carry, or a tool to use, hat to wear. . . They don't leave you. They're just waiting on you to join them.

PXL_20210307_210629584.jpg