Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Its the bass time of year!

hunterkid94

As some of you have noticed at local ponds, the ice is starting to come off the ponds. You know what that means, bass fishing! Im not sure how many of you start fishing this early but I know I do. I like to get out there and find out what ponds, rivers, parts of lakes, are producing nice largemouth so that I know where to focus my efforts during the spawn. If your not one for cold weather bass fishing, give it a try! It defiantly can take a lot more patience than just ripping a spinnerbait down a dock line waiting for a bass to smash it, but its still fun. The key to early season bass fishing is that as cold as they are, they dont want to move very much. Cold bass want to conserve as much energy as possible to keep themselves warm. As far as location, it can really vary. Lets say your fishing a pond. If its a nice, warm, sunny day, your going to want to fish those shallow waters where bass are looking for an easy meal. If its a cold, cloudy day, they bass are going to go deeper to stay non active and warm. The killer for this time of the year is just about any jig. Personally, I like a watermelon colored jig with a YUM Chunk crawdad trailer. Bass see a slow moving jig being popped up off the bottom as a slow moving crawdad. Perfect target for non active fish. Also, a lot of finesse worms, slow falling stick baits, or any jigging styled plastic is going to work. Let the bait fall to the bottom, and pop it around. Vary the time between the pops. Do a series of 3 or 4, the slow it down. No real food is going to just sit there for a bass, so make the lure seem active and afraid. Remember to fish around structure, that apply to a lot of bass fishing, but these slow moving bass will hunker down to some structure in hope for an easy meal to craw by.
Hope this helps your early season fishing luck! Ill try to post as many tips as possible and as well on my youtube channel. Tight lines everyone!

Kyle.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Can't swing the fish I catch, gotta mouth them ;) TOO cold to get my hands wet :)

I will wait til the water gets over 45 before my line gets wet. Their metabolism is so slow right now that I'll wait til they get more active. Have at it and let us know how it goes!

Beentown

hunterkid94

Thanks beentown! Went out a bit this morning at a nearby pond. Caught 4 in a little under an hour. Your right about their metabolism being so slow but I thought I would give it a try. The ones I caught hammered the jig! Its starting to warm up so I may go out again.