Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalopes Ohio trapping thread (Coonapalooza)

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This is how you dispatch a coon with only 2 hits. First one is hard on top of the head to stun the animal. Then you grab them by the back feet and hoist them up bit. Then swing down the coons back and make contact just above the neck on the base of the skull. If you hit them right blood will come out an ear or both ears. Once you get it, the whole job will be much easier and quicker.

Reactions: Jackalope

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is how you dispatch a coon with only 2 hits. First one is hard on top of the head to stun the animal. Then you grab them by the back feet and hoist them up bit. Then swing down the coons back and make contact just above the neck on the base of the skull. If you hit them right blood will come out an ear or both ears. Once you get it, the whole job will be much easier and quicker.

Tried that a couple times last year and never had a bunch of luck with it. Usually because when they get stunned they curl up and the head is tucked under some making the downward strike to the base difficult.

There has to be a sweet spot there though because that big one was facing me and I caught it right behind the ears while it was looking down and it was dead quick.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My buddy kills his trapped coons with a .177 pellet gun. One shot point blank just above the eye line dead center of the head. More humane than a club of any kind. If it were me I'd use a .22 or .17HMR.
wMakes sense but a whack with a club is light out just as quick as a gun. Any follow up hits or having to step on them is unknown to them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had a buddy with me on the line today.

20191117_123751.jpg
20191117_123603.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holy smokes...is that your buddy, “Dave” already?

Yeah. But I went with a homemade one. 😅 He just turned 3 on September 30th. Kids gonna be a beast. He's 39.5 inches, 40.5 lbs and wears a size 10 kids shoe. 🤣. His little brother is gonna be bigger than him and has been off the height / weight percentile chart.

Lucky

Sunbury
I made one like that in high school shop but with two large nuts solidly welded on the end. It worked well but got a soft heart and took a .22 after thinking about it more.
I used to use a hatchet on most animals back in day at first, but after having to crush more than a couple times, i switched to 22 pistol. Way faster.

Lucky

Sunbury
Interesting. I'll try that as I've been hitting them between the ears, or if standing sideways the base of the skull. Usually once to knock them out and then a well aimed followup. It knocks them out cold but if left alone they'll regain composure.
I knew a trapper in Alaska who would do that, smack on bridge of nose then step on chest for a litle and that would do it. Except wolverine wich is about the toughest animal alive. He used to tell me if wolverines were the size of a bear, no one would go into the woods.