Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lake Erie Charter fishing

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Went out and celebrated Columbus day today by catching 100 more perch for 4 of us. Threw back around 75 perch 7 inches or under. Kept 100 between 8 and 12 inches.

20211011_140738.jpg
20211011_185648.jpg

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Took the afternoon off and had a buddy up fishing today since we had a nice warm afternoon. We sorted thru 80 or so perch to get our 60 fish in about 2 hours. The bite was unreal. Then we set up and did some trolling and pulled a real nice limit of walleye.
20211020_171625.jpg
20211020_141947.jpg

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
iWindsurf app. It does not give wave forecast. You can estimate very close by knowing what wind directions and wind speeds dictate on the lake. A general rule i use is 1 foot wave for every 5 mph of wind. Any wind direction with a north or east heading is the most important to pay attention to on the south shore of the lake. Anything beyond 15mph from the north or east and you are almost guaranteed a 3 to 4 foot minimum wave. On the same hand, if it is a southerly or westerly wind 15 miles an hour you are only looking at a 1 to 2 foot wave out to about 5 miles offshore. Experience with watching wind forecasts helps alot here. NOAA is for sure NOT a good wave reference source.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
iWindsurf app. It does not give wave forecast. You can estimate very close by knowing what wind directions and wind speeds dictate on the lake. A general rule i use is 1 foot wave for every 5 mph of wind. Any wind direction with a north or east heading is the most important to pay attention to on the south shore of the lake. Anything beyond 15mph from the north or east and you are almost guaranteed a 3 to 4 foot minimum wave. On the same hand, if it is a southerly or westerly wind 15 miles an hour you are only looking at a 1 to 2 foot wave out to about 5 miles offshore. Experience with watching wind forecasts helps alot here. NOAA is for sure NOT a good wave reference source.
Gotcha, we always used the 1-5 ratio for as long as I remember. Always hope for S or SW winds while fishing up there. N or E suck…. We generally stay within a mile of shore so usually not too much of an issue.

Reactions: Gern186

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
US coast guard requires a license renewal every 5 years with a Captains license. After about 4 months of back and forth communications with the coast guard office I finally have my credentials renewed for the next 5 years. It's definitely not an easy process.

View attachment 144043
Thank you homeland security….. I think they’ve become more of a bureaucracy since they’ve combined with them….

Reactions: 5Cent and Gern186