Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys need to read the safety thread. Those climbers aren't cooperating with you. (Yeah I'm 4-5 days catching up on your thread. lol) Good luck to you and the crew. Tell the 0/4 shooter to stay home, sight his gun in, and practice. I mean, I get it. I've had jitters. I've made less than stellar shots. But if I was 0/4 I think I would have to do some soul searching and decide for myself if I was doing the animal justice.

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We are safety minded, 2 of us are firefighters. All wear harness and stuff still can happen. I don’t know if I posted it but I did a face plant barrel roll getting out of my stand. I was so cold and had no dexterity. After having a stellar year last year, the deer gods are paying me back this year lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We are safety minded, 2 of us are firefighters. All wear harness and stuff still can happen. I don’t know if I posted it but I did a face plant barrel roll getting out of my stand. I was so cold and had no dexterity. After having a stellar year last year, the deer gods are paying me back this year lol.
You did post it. This and your buddy losing the bottom of his climber from 15'. Just got me a little worried. I know you are FF and don't doubt you are safety minded. NOT calling you guys out. It can happen to any of us and can happen fast. I just want to keep reading your stories and smiling as I follow along. I'd hate to hear of anyone getting seriously hurt. Buy your buddy a rope to tie his top and bottom together. lol

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
You did post it. This and your buddy losing the bottom of his climber from 15'. Just got me a little worried. I know you are FF and don't doubt you are safety minded. NOT calling you guys out. It can happen to any of us and can happen fast. I just want to keep reading your stories and smiling as I follow along. I'd hate to hear of anyone getting seriously hurt. Buy your buddy a rope to tie his top and bottom together. lol

Yeah shit can happen fast. My buddy is 23 and Bullet proof. He never worn a harness till he started hunting w me. Told him your not hunting w me without one. He has one now.

He was climbing a nutall oak tree. There is really no bark to speak of. Them trees are hard as a wedding dick. He’s using a summit stand that usually does not slip. It can happen, happened to me last year on lottery. I was 15’ coming down the tree w my harness attached. I was hunting at 28’. Well my tree strap got tangled in the top so I leaned in close to the tree to untangle it. My bottom slipped and the whole stand and myself w harness loosely around the tree did a quick decent. Scared the shit out of me. Next day I climbed a gum tree. In the select cuts that I love to hunt, they cut out most of the trash trees and leave the oaks. There is other trees to climb but most have limbs or tons of vines. You can’t cut anything on the NWR so some areas you may be limited on selection.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Back in the stand. Dj went home as he has to work tomorrow. Hunter back in the stand. I’m watching a bear right now down where dj was hunting. Guess I won’t see shit with that damn Monday hanging in the plot.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
IMG_1822.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tell the 0/4 shooter to stay home, sight his gun in, and practice. I mean, I get it. I've had jitters. I've made less than stellar shots. But if I was 0/4 I think I would have to do some soul searching and decide for myself if I was doing the animal justice.
Ever try to find a deer in thick palmetos where you can't see 5 feet and 80% of the ground is covered in standing water? You can shoot one and watch it drop in its tracks 75 yards away, pick out the closest tree to it and climb down then still spend an hour looking for the damn thing. Probably walk within 3 feet of it a couple times too. Not saying 0/4 is a good record, just saying it's no cakewalk finding those suckers even if you make a perfect shot.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Ever try to find a deer in thick palmetos where you can't see 5 feet and 80% of the ground is covered in standing water? You can shoot one and watch it drop in its tracks 75 yards away, pick out the closest tree to it and climb down then still spend an hour looking for the damn thing. Probably walk within 3 feet of it a couple times too. Not saying 0/4 is a good record, just saying it's no cakewalk finding those suckers even if you make a perfect shot.

They have idea unless you’ve hunted it. Some places your are swimming in palmettos and don’t touch the ground. Still a cool place to hunt.