Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Nice bag. We're y'all jump shooting or calling?
In a brake full of acorns. They were flying in. We was one shy, hunting was tough, not many and heavy overcast which made the woods vary dark during shooting time. I told Gavin where to go to get the last one which was a secluded pond off the brake. The plan was to whoop if he kills the 6th bird or I’d be shooting one. He shot and whooped and I sent Pearl and she took off like a rocket. He gave her the commands and shortly after I seen her hauling ass back to me with the duck. He came back and we took some pics. I told him we never hunt the pond that he said had 30 in it. It’s there in case we need to finish limits after they quit flying.

We got back to the camp and jumped in the boat to run lines and pick them up because bad weather is coming. We only caught 6 fish, and the plan was to clean all the fish then go to his camp for his famous cooked ducks. I have never tasted them better and I’ve had them every kind of way. So today is for me to learn how he does it and eat and drink beer.
409B01CF-5083-4A76-B021-B4F8E671BBCB.jpeg

Left field

In a brake full of acorns. They were flying in. We was one shy, hunting was tough, not many and heavy overcast which made the woods vary dark during shooting time. I told Gavin where to go to get the last one which was a secluded pond off the brake. The plan was to whoop if he kills the 6th bird or I’d be shooting one. He shot and whooped and I sent Pearl and she took off like a rocket. He gave her the commands and shortly after I seen her hauling ass back to me with the duck. He came back and we took some pics. I told him we never hunt the pond that he said had 30 in it. It’s there in case we need to finish limits after they quit flying.

We got back to the camp and jumped in the boat to run lines and pick them up because bad weather is coming. We only caught 6 fish, and the plan was to clean all the fish then go to his camp for his famous cooked ducks. I have never tasted them better and I’ve had them every kind of way. So today is for me to learn how he does it and eat and drink beer. View attachment 167203
please share the recipe

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Decided to duck hunt again, went to a new spot but I’ve hunted it before. It’s a hit and miss kind of spot and we walked out with empty hands. Should’ve had 1 or 2 birds. Went to Gavin’s camp up the road to wash clothes, he was finishing up cleaning yesterdays ducks we killed. I put my clothes in the washer and told Gavin I was gonna go scout a duck hole out and look for deer. Got to where I parked my atv on trail and headed in w pearl and shotgun. No birds where they usually are so I flanked the cypress brake in the flooded oak trees. Busted a few ducks and moved in as it catches a ridge between water areas in woods. Snuck up on some, made pearl stay as I crawled on all 4’s trying to close the difference. Of course one hen sees you and alerts snd a big bunch swim in deeper. Thought I seen a pair close but couldn’t see them. Crawled closer and caught a few playing and was about 35 yards. I could see one drake on a log which had his whole body exposed. Shot once and they took off in different directions, shot at another but no deal. Walked up to the waters edge and sent pearl to where I shot. She came back w a big drake. Looked around and nothing else so we snuck deeper. Found some birds and got into position and shot a bunch fly up in all direction but to me and I shoot again. Don’t see anything fall so we approach closer and I see a wounded duck in the buck brush. I sent pearl but the duck dove and I’m watching. I barely see it down the way in thick stuff and I shoot through the crap hoping to finish it. Direct pearl “over” and it’s still swimming just not as good as before. She catches it and hands me another drake that is alive. We walk back to the last spot I shot twice and I think I can see a dead bird on the water. I heel pearl and line her up, “back” and she takes a direct line and picks up another drake. Got my limit the hard way.
1F39461E-B84F-47E5-B11A-6ABE4C399AB5.jpeg
3ADFEC67-B690-45E4-8344-4FBEFC194679.jpeg
6EEE175A-AE15-4847-A1AC-9A52B338BF4E.jpeg
F6E9D97D-5C7E-41EC-9963-43484246CEDA.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Ate ducks again last night w some podnahs.
E923BD6F-158D-4330-BB08-7DDB011F5573.jpeg

They said can you put us on some ducks? I smiled and told them when and where. We had limits in short order.

Hunter went to another spot w his friend and son. The boy got his limit and Hunter killed his first banded bird. He said he killed another but wasn’t swimming for it and no way to retrieve it.
7033ECC8-BDF2-4C39-9FEE-C71D2274C05C.jpeg
E9C390E4-D6C6-4841-A121-8E7EEA0D8E49.jpeg

Attachments

• 62BDA111-06E4-4018-8191-9D3F4CD7E907.jpeg
    62BDA111-06E4-4018-8191-9D3F4CD7E907.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 54

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We opted out for the special primitive hunt on the nwr this morning. It’s 73 degrees this morning and I’m not feeling up to the shitshow. Me and Pearl going duck hunting, dj went to nwr and Hunter took friend and his son to a different wma to kill ducks. Should have some duck pics to post at least.

I’m sitting in the parking lot burning some time cause I got up early to deer hunt. AC is blowing at max and pearl is panting. Nothing like Louisiana December weather!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So we got in and hunted some woodys. Same spot as the 3 man limit, but less birds because we just busted them up. They don’t take to much pressure. Killed my limit which is 3 and took some pics and was back at the camp before 8.
6D84185E-81D7-47AC-8B74-0C8A352A3CA3.jpeg
343AC6ED-3354-4B14-8F24-D58C8B01E72E.jpeg
EEC20686-7646-49AC-8F6A-D1F07C3FAAD0.jpeg

Put the birds on ice and grabbed my cva 35 whelen and headed to the nwr where Dj was hunting w a friend. Friend had shot but couldn’t find blood nor deer. Dj had a spike but texted me that his gun’s hammer wouldn’t lock back. Called him and we got it cleared. Must have had trash blocking the trigger 🤷🏼‍♂️. I walked in and seen a camp buddy on the ground walking around. He said he shot a doe, laid there for 3 minutes and got up and ran off. No blood, I helped him look but didn’t see anything either. Walked further back and jumped a small doe. Veered away from it and sat down about .38 from the truck. Sat there for an hour in a chair and decided to go slip. Walked up and jumped a doe at .42. She stopped and offered me a shot……boom and drop.
32DC241B-36F8-4B20-89EC-C554B5B75852.jpeg
90F0AD54-592E-4D86-946B-82A06AED4B47.jpeg

Broke a stick and cut the doe through the nose to drag out. Made it a lot a 100 yards and he nose ripped. Never had that happen. Cut the hocks and put stick through the hind quarters and drug another 100. Told myself, go get the cart in my truck dummy. Followed my gps line towards the truck and could see Dj and his friend walking out. They never did see me. As I was walking towards them I came upon the doe that my camp buddy had shot. Still alive and bedded. Neck shot her and texted him I found his deer. He met me at the deer and I said we’d be back w a cart, actually we had 2 carts. Dropped one to him and said we will be back. Got to my doe and dj and I started our way out. Made it to the truck the same time the other guy made it.

I told dj go get back in the woods. He left about 40 minutes ago. He just called me as I’m typing this that he shot a doe. Jumped it walking in, then said it was a button buck. All good I told him congrats and asked if he needed help. He said no I will be at the camp in 40 minutes.

On another note, as I scouted yesterday for this weekend hunt, I didn’t find much sign and was discouraged. I did find a lions mane mushroom growing on a tree. I will be back for it later.

Attachments

• 5AF6F77B-68E9-480F-893E-1E7E6870C8E3.jpeg
    5AF6F77B-68E9-480F-893E-1E7E6870C8E3.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 51

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Alrighty boys and girls, we back in action. So to catch up we didn’t hunt the lottery, but Hunter did. He killed a big doe and two pigs.

Me and Dj just made it to the camp before this front. Tornado warnings are out and shit fixing to hit the fan. We all hunting the property in the morning in the rain, supposed to rain all night and tomorrow till 3-4pm.
B4C96EDA-3ACF-4B71-90F7-C6FA4F1943C2.jpeg

this is Hunters attire most days hunting on public. He’s got half the campground wearing this shit thinking they will kill like him 😂.
88671BDF-43AD-4AEA-959E-71FC9B8D9D21.jpeg

weather should be good from here on out. Duck season opens back up Saturday. Hoping to put a buck on the ground, then focus on my feathered friends.