Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2018-19

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Got within 40 yards of him.

The other deer that was with him busted me right when I tried to range him.

Well, I should have him and the other on my Tactacam.

The big guy didn't see, hear or smell me. He just followed the other.

It was close and fun!

Now I'm headed home to dry out and try to get back out later.

I'm soaked!

I'll post the video in a little while.

C-ya guys later and I hope you enjoyed my little stalk & hunt even though I just missed out.
This was awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Well, it's Lucas' birthday today. My old guy is 4 now. Where has time gone??? I promised him we would go out for his birthday but, today was just too cruddy for him. We're going to get out tomorrow AM in his "Tiny Tower" and see what walks by. I'm sure since I killed my antlers, the biggest deer in the property will walk by. Lol. Oh well! So excited to get out and watch some deer with him.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Look in between the crotch of the middle tree.
20181115_163549.jpg

A decent 8 bedded. I'm gonna try calling him in shortly.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
11/15/18 Deer Report:

Okay,

this morning was a complete wash, and I almost mean that literally cause it rained hard right up until 10:00. That's when the rain died down to a acceptable sprinkle.

Shortly thereafter I seen two deer pop up out of their CRP beds, approximately 400 yards away to my Northeast.

I continued glassing the field for more deer and I didn't see any really but maybe one more, kinda in the same area but not entirely sure at the time.

I watched that tremendous buck chase away a smaller buck several times over the course of about 10-15 minutes.

Finally, that other buck disappeared someplace.

I continued watching that large buck pacing up and down that immediate area, grazing and always keep looking back from where he first came from.

I assumed that he was keeping close tabs on a Doe, but I didn't really get the chance to glass her from afar, so I wasn't sure.

I originally intended on going home for lunch and get out of the nasty weather for a bit, but that buck made me change my plans and thanks to the further encouragement from all of you guys, the wonderful 'TOO'-CREW!

So I checked my compass one last time and took notice of the exact whereabouts of that buck within the CRP field before I decided climbed down from my tree.

Then I hiked like I would normally do to go home, but stopped just outside the CRP field to drop off my backpack, 'Body Heater Suite' and a Vinyl Rain Jacket.

Finally, with wind in my face and still raining, I took off, heading straight for that buck, right up the big hill, approximately 300 yards away is where I know he's at.

I definitely used my compass to navigate my way through the 6-8' tall CRP.

I always made sure I could see the top of my tree with my stand in it and hold my course straight to that buck.

I literally was on top of him when I first seen him and I figured he was a minimum of 30-35 yards away within the CRP.

He was looking due South at the time and I never did see the other deer that was obviously further to my left, approximately 40, maybe 50 yards away from me.

I do regret deciding to range that buck rather than just shooting him when I first approached him, seeing him bedded, cause I already had my HHA bow sight dialed in for 30 yards, which that would've got the job done for me.

But, that's apart of deer hunting for ya,,, "Would've, should've, could've"

Here's my Tactacam video of the very brief coverage of him hopping away.

I didn't do a very good job getting him on camera, but you'll see his fat ass!

He never did see, hear or smell me coming.

He only reacted to the deer that was with him that popped up and took off after it seen me trying to range him.

Still, I had a lot of fun putting the stalk on him and I'll be doing more of those kind of hunts here in the near future if I don't get it done here soon.

@43 seconds into the video, you'll get to see him run off.

Since I never made it back to my 'Eastern Stand' this evening cause all my hunting clothes and gear was completely soaked from the morning hunt, and it's a long hike to get there, I decided to hunt out of my 'Western Stand', which is very close to home.

My evening hunt was fun 'TOO'!

I messed around with a decent 8 that was bedded in the field just to my South, approximately 100 yards away.

About 15 minutes before quitting time, he started heading my way and got just within 50 yards of me, but wouldn't commit to entering the woods, which would've put him within bow range.

I'd say I seen a total of 6 deer today - 3 Bucks & 3 Does.

Tomorrow is DAY III of the RUT and should be another exciting day with much better weather.

You can say I'm totally looking forward to it to say the least!

Good night 'TOO' Gang!

Back at it again tomorrow morning...

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Had decent rut action last night. Button buck running and grunting. 2 basket racks checked scrapes. Tonight my wife called and said she saw a monster chasing a doe down the road. Who knows!? We will see.

Reactions: Dustinb80