Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2018-19

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
2018-12-04 11.54.26.jpg

Heading out for a good old fashion 'Still Hunt' this afternoon with my compound in the big woods.

It's nice and cool with a mild North wind.

Seen deer within bow range the last two times I did this over the last few days so, I'd like to give it another shot.

Besides, I have nothing better to do at this very moment ;)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
About halfway towards the top and I've been on this rub line for the last few 100 yards or better with fresh deer tracks & shit in the immediate area.
20181204_124225.jpg

Kinda swampy with down trees, thick ivy & bryers 'TOO'.

Looks like a good spot for a buck to hunker down.

Pressing onward though to get to the top, just taking a breather.

I've got my backpack with food & water for today, which is a beautiful thing in some respect.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I’m back out, this morning was my first “real hunt” since thanksgiving. Sat from 5am-10am and was covered in deer until the sun came out then they all disappeared. At one point it smelled like a deer for probably a half hour. Not just maybe a faint odor but it stunk like evercalm except I wasn’t using any.

Had an unknown buck grunt real close behind me sounded like it was 10 yards away. Saw one youngster trotting down the fence line like he was late for something an hour after first light and that was the only sighting. Still hunted and used OnX for the first time so I got to check the whole east side of the property today. Been hunting here for ten years and that’s the first time I ever really explored the back side. Hunting my usual spot here on the east side of the property this afternoon. Just trying to relax, watch some deer and maybe shoot a big doe from the ground is the goal.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The same 4 deer came in at the same exact time as last evening, 4:50p. Crazy thing was, they came in from the same direction as the two other times today. They get around. They kept looking back at different times, so I kept looking for antlers. Nothing. After they were done browsing next to me, they cut across the thicket as usual. A few min, later, more deer came in from the same direction. They milled about at 30 yards until the neighbor's dogs who had been running around, started barking. They all jumped around a bit & stopped. I spied another deer jump back up by The Oak & it never came back down. Dark 30 arrived. So, 11 deer all together this evening, They were still there when I left.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I think the deer at this property are pretty well freaked out from gun season. I wasn’t there all week for that but the guy that hunts the other side said they did a two man push a couple times and had to run a couple tressapasers off. Place is loaded with fresh sign, tracks, poop, tips of branches broke off... heard a bunch of deer when it was still dark this morning and saw a little antlerless in a hurry and then probably the same deer acting the same way this evening, that was it.

They seem to be working the night shift. I’ll either have to get closer to a bedding area or wait for January I think. I’m glad I saw a deer on both morning and evening hunts. Better than being at work and better than getting skunked!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
2018-12-05 12.01.13.jpg

I'd say it looks a little different here today than yesterday.

Anyways,,,

same spot as yesterday afternoon's hunt, within all those buck tree rubs with a stiff West wind gusts occasionally and 30* temp.

Four trail cameras hung along the way with two more 'TOO' go yet.

I'll hang those on the way home this evening.