Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

First sit of the year. Had this guy come in at 0830 and he presented a shot. Saw the Lomenok move slightly, couldn't tell if it was a branch or upon impact. After 2 hours of looking no arrow, hair, or blood. A clean miss I can live with but with no arrow to prove otherwise I'm sick. Grabbing some coffee and heading back out to currycomb some more.

1604157513918.png

Redneckfucker

Greene county
Yesterday (October 30th) was the best day I've ever had in the tree stand.

I arrived at my big brother's house, which is 1/4 mile up the road from our parent's farm at around 5am. First sit together of the year. Excitement was high. Coffee and redbulls were streaming in our veins and we focused. I opened the personal rubber bin he had for me in his workshop that contained all of my hunting clothing, one piece of which is my brand-new Sitka bib he got me for my birthday.

I dropped him off on the corn field edge around 6 and then doubled back to the farm house to park the truck. I walked the paved road another 1/4 mile and filmed myself on the way all geeked out ready for a week away from the outside world.

There was a slight drizzle but it was supposed to tighten up by 8am, which it did. The woods quieted down and I could see the thicket 80 yards in front of me where the does bed -- I could also see behind me into the cut corn field on the back end of the woods I'm hunting and to the left of me is an acre clearing of tall grass with deep pockets of water from the past few days.

No action by 9. I texted my brother, who was 500 yards northwest in our creek stand, and commented on how slow it was. "This is weird," I said. And he agreed.

By 930 I've already read all the posts on TOO about others' experience with this morning and I had already went through 3 skoal mint pouches. I was thinking about another half hour and I'd call it a morning.

I was playing Euchre on my phone and I looked up from the screen to do my survey of the horizon...then I see it. That subtle change in the landscape that I had so carefully scanned 50 times in the past 3 hours. There was a white beam and it was moving.

I squeeze my eyes together because maybe they were dry. I look again and at 60 yards in the brush is the rack. I knew he was big. "Shooter, shooter, shooter." I whisper.

I instinctively grab my crossbow in one fluid motion and set it on my lap. These woods are younger and there is a bundle of 10-15 trees 25 yards to my front left. I grab the binoculars with my right hand and raise them. I see red fur on his forehead, white around his eyes, I think "he's older."

I see the path he's on, moving slowly from right to left, and I see one opening ten yards ahead of him. I draw up the TenPoint scope and use the top pin. "Lord make me fast and accurate", I say under my breath(thanks Mel Gibson) -- He's not in my scope window yet but I know he's coming. And then there he is. 25 yards broadside. I squeal out a "BEEERRRPP." He stops, looks slightly quartered towards me, and I let it fly.

THWWWAAACK! --> He turns hard 90 degress to head to the grass clearing out of the woods. My heart is pounding blood up into my neck and head. I'm shaking. I see him stop at 60 yards and wabble. YES!...he goes another 20 and rears back on his hind legs, and then lays to rest in the brush.

I call my brother and can only say "he's down, he's down, he's down" about 50 times as I'm tearing up shaking like I'm having a seizure.

We wait 10, I find my arrow covered in blood. I pick him up and we walk the scene of the glorious kill. God is good. He spots him in the brush 70 yards from where I stuck him. The clouds clear and it's a crisp fall morning. The spirit buck is in the air. Fred Bear by Ted Nugent is playing in my head.

Dad lights a fire and we dress and hang him by the barn. Couldn't have made up a better scenario. A more perfect hunt.

It was also my 9 year anniversary for when my wife and I met. God is good.

View attachment 112776
Awesome buck and awsome write up man. This stuff is awesome!!!!!!

Buckkillr

Athens
Got outta truck at 620 and right away noticed the wind was backwards of normal so rather than setting my wind in the direction of the normal deer movement I decided to do a ground assault in a spot 200 yds down wind of my stand.
I spent 25 mins sneaking thru some thicket to get to the inner open woods and clear a spot out just as daybreak was starting.
Nothing happens for the first hour so I did a lite series of grunts and rattling and 15 mins later I here that steady walk. I know having been there before that deer on eye level appear alot bigger than normal so when I catch movement and see horns I was mentally measuring over and over for a solid minute. By that time he was approaching the 30yd mark so I decided he was definitely worthy and drew and released. He made it 50 yds and crashed.

Afterwards I moved up to 20 yds to watch and make sure he was done and had a spike walk in to within 10yds. After the spike left another smaller buck walked in, winded me and ran off, then once I made it out to the field edge there was another real nice buck standing right in the middle of the field. Great morning!

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_082900265.jpg
    IMG_20201031_082900265.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 227

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Got outta truck at 620 and right away noticed the wind was backwards of normal so rather than setting my wind in the direction of the normal deer movement I decided to do a ground assault in a spot 200 yds down wind of my stand.
I spent 25 mins sneaking thru some thicket to get to the inner open woods and clear a spot out just as daybreak was starting.
Nothing happens for the first hour so I did a lite series of grunts and rattling and 15 mins later I here that steady walk. I know having been there before that deer on eye level appear alot bigger than normal so when I catch movement and see horns I was mentally measuring over and over for a solid minute. By that time he was approaching the 30yd mark so I decided he was definitely worthy and drew and released. He made it 50 yds and crashed.

Afterwards I moved up to 20 yds to watch and make sure he was done and had a spike walk in to within 10yds. After the spike left another smaller buck walked in, winded me and ran off, then once I made it out to the field edge there was another real nice buck standing right in the middle of the field. Great morning!

I’d stick that all day, any day! That’s a great buck congrats.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Congratulations on a good buck!!!

Reactions: Buckkillr