Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20201128_075013.jpg

Well, I would have reported 'live' from the ground this morning, but I had no cell service where I was hunting at, unfortunately. I hunted the same place where I tried to take a doe last evening. It was another close one this morning, but got disturbed by other hunters.

Right at 8:00 a.m. sharp, an adult doe steps out from the North wooded creek shelf area along the wooded/field edge, approximately 60-65 yards away, looks around, then turns my direction, walking slowly. At the same time, two other hunters showed up, driving in two separate vehicles through the cut CRP field just to my South where I saw those bucks going at it last evening, heading East towards the big hardwoods. That spooked the doe that was out in front of me back into the North wooded creek shelf area, approximately 45 yards away. I continued to watch her as she headed further into the wooded area, then shortly afterwards, I heard her and what sounded like more deer crossing the main creek and up into the North Ridge area.

I stuck around until 9:00 a.m. without seeing anymore deer within the immediate area, then hiked back home down through the main creek heading West, while doing a still hunt along the way while having the NW wind cool breeze in my face. I didn't see nor hear anymore deer while doing so. I did end up taking plenty of photographs though of many tree rubs that lead me straight to the back of my property.

I'll get back out later this evening. Not sure where just yet, but I'll figure that out here shortly.

Good luck to whoever is huntin today!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Would that be a PA. 11 pointer????
Negative. Year old buck with 11 points. A couple might not be quite an inch but he has potential. As long as he avoids the orange army.
I wasn’t sure this afternoons hunt would amount to much. My stone was making things uncomfortable but settled down around 4:00. I saw 12 tonight. 4 small bucks. Most were near the corn. I’m stubborn and won’t hunt it before gun season but I will be on it starting Monday.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I got down early because I had four antlerless deer cruise by me right around 5:00 p.m. without any shot opportunity. I watched them head straight to the alfalfa field to the West, roughly 80 yards away. While glassing them within the alfalfa field during the last 10-15 minutes, I seen a few of them running around like crazy thinking perhaps a buck or two was chasing them. Apparently not because by the time I reached the wooded/field edge, it was nothing but those antlerless deer plus two more stretching out their legs, getting a little bit of exercise and playing chase amongst themselves. One of them eventually winded me within 30 yards when it got close to the wooded/field edge. Blew once, then they all scattered to the South side of the field, opposite side from where I was standing. I casually hiked home afterwards through the same field. It was fun putting in another 'little spot & stalk' on'em.

It surely wasn't hard to miss that beautiful full moon tonight while hiking home I can tell you that, 'TOO'!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Negative. Year old buck with 11 points. A couple might not be quite an inch but he has potential. As long as he avoids the orange army.
I wasn’t sure this afternoons hunt would amount to much. My stone was making things uncomfortable but settled down around 4:00. I saw 12 tonight. 4 small bucks. Most were near the corn. I’m stubborn and won’t hunt it before gun season but I will be on it starting Monday.
Good Luck with that stone... Last fall during my ordeal, the urologist says: Oh by the way you have 4 decent size kidney stones.... So far no pain....

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20201129_074915.jpg

One coyote on the way in. They were alfully busy last night, a whole group of them.

Heavy fog rolling in the valley this morning. Freezing on contact within the standing CRP.

No deer movement yet. Scratch that, just heard one moving within the CRP field. I should be able to hear them coming if they move during this heavy frost were currently experiencing.

Good luck to whoever is huntin today!