Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Jamie

Ohio
Beautiful morning for sure. Not much stirring here. This is much better evening set up, but did have a doe and fawn come through, a nice 2.5 120” 4x4 a little later. Nobody stopping to smell the acorns, just moving along.
about the instant I hit "post reply", I glanced over my shoulder to see a deer's hind end 20 yards from me. had just stepped out of the corn and into the strip I'm set up in. a nice 2.5 9pt. he stood and looked around for a minute or two then cocked his head back, curled his lip and took of trotting after a doe that I had not seen out in front of him about 60 yards. he chased her out of sight, came right back and ate acorns 40 yards out in front of me for 25 minutes before meandering of to bed in the briars.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I only saw another doe or two. Just the same, bucks r moving. I was on the shitter when this guy came up to my other popup in the back of the yard ... lol
Screenshot_20211019-115043_COMMAND.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Same thing kinda happen to me yesterday, Kevin @Outdoorsfellar . I was gonna wait him out but, he had somethin else in mind instead. The first few minutes of yesterday's hunts video will complete the story. It was a rather unique and funny encounter. He was back in the field again after quitting time when I was walking back to my pickup too. TOO funny!

Today, I'm back out at the same farm as yesterday, huntin again, and man, just another absolutely goergous day outdoors! Pretty much a repeat of yesterday's deer action too so far. About five altogether up to this point. All but one were within bow range.

One of the young bucks eventually circled me.
20211020_090319.jpg

One of two buttons that showed up as well. The first one was right at legal time earlier so, no photo of him handy.
20211020_082806.jpg

Yesterday afternoon I scouted/still-hunted the rest of the farm, which is kind of documented in the first shared video of this post.
I discovered a couple of real fresh scrapes and an area of serious tree rubs.
So, during this afternoon's break today, I'll be moving my Lone-Wolf tree-stand over to where I found those fresh buck signs and hunt that area this evening and over the next two, hoping that one of the better bucks gets super ambitious during legal time soon.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Same thing kinda happen to me yesterday, Kevin @Outdoorsfellar . I was gonna wait him out but, he had somethin else in mind instead. The first few minutes of yesterday's hunts video will complete the story. It was a rather unique and funny encounter. He was back in the field again after quitting time when I was walking back to my pickup too. TOO funny!

Today, I'm back out at the same farm as yesterday, huntin again, and man, just another absolutely goergous day outdoors! Pretty much a repeat of yesterday's deer action too so far. About five altogether up to this point. All but one were within bow range.

One of the young bucks eventually circled me.
View attachment 137984

One of two buttons that showed up as well. The first one was right at legal time earlier so, no photo of him handy.
View attachment 137985

Yesterday afternoon I scouted/still-hunted the rest of the farm, which is kind of documented in the first shared video of this post.
I discovered a couple of real fresh scrapes and an area of serious tree rubs.
So, during this afternoon's break today, I'll be moving my Lone-Wolf tree-stand over to where I found those fresh buck signs and hunt that area this evening and over the next two, hoping that one of the better bucks gets super ambitious during legal time soon.

Well, afternoon plans just got changed. Don't believe she went 30. That's round two on this same Rage NC x-treme COC broadhead and it still looks decent. Perhaps another round may be in order?!?

Catch up later,,, got things to do!

Gonna try to get back out later.

C-ya!

20211020_113120.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
I started morning scouting coffee drives with xbow n tow at daylight b4 housework. I saw a dandy this am in indiana coming toward the oh line. I thought it was tangled in a green fence. He had a branch stuck n his antlers about 8ft long centered in his rack with the base almost tenis ball size. A wth is that? moment until i got binos on him.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Could easily taken another mamoth doe and tag out for this county but, I'm waiting on one of those good bucks to show up. Two more antlerless and this huge doe are still underneath me. That's five deer since I've been back in the stand at 4:10 p.m. I have really no idea for a total deer count for the day yet. Have to go through all my photography later. Batteries for them are about to die too.

20211020_173220.jpg

20211020_173505.jpg
20211020_175052.jpg

I'm telling ya, it's been one helluva deer day today. Now, It'd be perfect if some of those big bucks show up before quitting time.

I'll find out here shortly...

Shit, two more antlerless just showed up.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Almost perfect this evening, just too young though.

Had a couple of antlered deer underneath me the entire last half hour and then some. Had to wait on them to leave the immediate area.
Just an awesome deer day and such a beautiful day on top of that too.
Had a few deer in the bean field while walkin out, couldn't tell what they were. Then within the last 50 yards of getting to my pickup, I came nose to nose with a coyote pretty much. I figured he was trying to get to today's gut pile and we just happen to met up on the same path, me leaving and him going to.

Anyhow, had lots of deer encounters today, both the first half, then again this evening. Most all came within 20 yards.
I estimate approximately 18-20 different deer altogether, but to confirm those numbers, I have to go through all my photography data first. I'll do that when I get home and create two different video versions, one short with the harvest and the other will include all deer encounters of today.

Again, just an awesome day to be in the deer woods. I had a ton of fun!

I'll catch up later, heading down the highway for home.

Later!

(Young decent buck right underneath me until after quitting time crunching on acorns.)
20211020_190318.jpg