Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm in a ladder stand I set this year overlooking a draw. Deer seem to use this draw a lot as a travel corridor. At least that's what I think from the sign and my trail camera photos. It's my first morning sit here and it's been eventful. When I got here I got a glimpse of eyes in my flashlight. 30 yards down in the draw. I was here 45 minutes prior to first light and didn't expect any deer here yet. I had just put my bow on the rope when I saw the eyes. I waited until I thought they were gone and started up the ladder. 2 steps up and I hear one blow at me. I figured that was it I'm busted. But that deer kept walking back and forth in the dark for 20 minutes and blew at me at least 20 times. I think it was a doe because there were a couple others with it. Finally they walked away but never ran like I spooked them. I've never had a deer do that. Usually they blow and then they are gone. Maybe the smoke had her confused. Anyways it took me a half hour to finally get settled. No more deer yet but it's a nice cool morning.

Cephas50

Back in the stand where I sat last weekend. Nice and cool. Not too windy, but good wind direction for this setup. Can't upload a picture because my phone can't figure out how to talk to the website.

Crazy story from last week. I had just climbed out of this same stand last Saturday morning. It was just after 10 and I had almost decided to stay up for another half hour. 2 minutes after I climbed down a doe walks out of the tall grass, 20 yards NE of me. She was followed by two more, who spooked and ran off, but the first one stayed close. I managed to get and arrow nocked and shot her at 20 yds. She ran 10 yards and that was it! She went to FHFH and I had filled my first tag of the 2014-15 season. I haven't seen anything so far this morning, but I'm sure not getting out of the stand before 1030...

Cephas50

I know they're moving this morning because I came within a foot of hitting a 10-point with my car on the way out here!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413228959.108946.jpgyep windy and warm. My two arch nemesis of deer hunting weather. Oh well. Better than mudding my new bathroom at home. Lol

Cephas50

Back out this afternoon. Got skunked on Saturday. Warm weather doesn't have me optimistic, but landowner said that they were moving a lot last night. Hopefully the trend continues and I see some action tonight.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not a big fan of blinds but sitting in one now overlooking 2 CRP fields.Figured with the front coming in the deer might move this evening and the wind was perfect for the blind.Just nice to be out.uploadfromtaptalk1413234933541.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413234952117.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413234975178.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413253882.760758.jpg what a surprise night! Thought cuz of the wind and temp that they wouldn't be moving much, saw 6 which is pretty good for that spot. 3 bucks including the bigger 10 point that has been playing chess with me the last couple weeks. I'll get him eventually. In the mean time, squirrel biscuits and gravy. Mmmmmm

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Nothing for deer movement yet. As we all do, I am sitting here second guessing stand choice and property choice right now. Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Man, this morning just seemed like one of those mornings when I got up at 7. Especially after it rained all night, you'd think they'd be moving.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is what I thought Chad. More rain coming this afternoon into evening as well. I figured they would move great. Maybe I am in the wrong spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.