Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScruffyBuck

Wayne Co. OH
Bumped one in the early morning yesterday 1 hour before shooting light. Saw my camera flash 3 times in front of me immediately after. Got down from stand to check the camera after a three hour sit to discover it was a nice 9 pointer. Nothing in the evening. Three days out of serious chasing here in Wayne Co.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Perfect day to check cams/make last minute adjustment before the woods blows up

Yep, I'm hoping this weather breaks for a couple hours around 4:00 like they're predicting and they're antsy to get up and move. Winds are supposed to pick up out of SW which would be perfect for a spot I have between bedding and food. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Supposed to be 45mph winds in my area tomorrow last I heard. Hoping my blinds don't blow away and no way I'm getting out to hunt. Thinking about slipping in and hanging a stand today though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Supposed to be 45mph winds in my area tomorrow last I heard. Hoping my blinds don't blow away and no way I'm getting out to hunt. Thinking about slipping in and hanging a stand today though.

Shot a nice 8 pt back in 08, was sitting on the couch on a Sunday watching the Browns losing (again) and the wind was gusting to 30 mph.... Looked out the window too see trees bending over.... Said too myself, that still looks better than what I'm doing.... Fast forward an hour later I'm in a ground set up and here comes the 8 right down the middle of a cut bean field..... Checked 2 scrapes, refreshed them and 5 minutes later he was on the ground....

After that I never really let the wind bother me.... When it's this time of year they'll still move looking for love.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nicely put Jay. Throw it all out the window this time of year and just be in the woods

Exactly Gordo, I'll be on stand every minute available for the next 3-4 weeks.... Girls aren't going too like the neglect but they'll get over it lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm absolutely floored there haven't been more deer killed by guys on this site. It's getting to be that time......

That's the typical flow of season. The first week or two of season a good block of deer hit the ground. Then it slacks off for about two weeks mid to late October. Then the bucks start hitting the ground again for a few weeks from late October through mid November. The October lull is real buddy, I've seen it year after year on forums. Watch the post season harvest video, it's like 6 minutes of constant slideshow pictures of dead animals. These guys are some critter killing fools.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I can attest too the lull as I've been seeing it for he last week or so.... Last night was a changer with this front moving thru.... Keep looking at the forecast too see if it'll blow thru this evening and I can make it out... Should be good if it stops....

Kaiser878

ohio
I don't believe in the lull.... I believe in pressured deer changing their habits.... but there is no such thing as a lull IMO. For example I've had solid deer on cam well before daylight literally all october.

Buckmaster

Portage
I think the so called lull is caused by leaf drop and young bucks harassing does. The does disappear for about 2 weeks per season which coincides with majority leaf drop.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't believe in the lull.... I believe in pressured deer changing their habits.... but there is no such thing as a lull IMO. For example I've had solid deer on cam well before daylight literally all october.

That would still be considered a lull. Whatever the reason harvest droops off after the first week and picks back up around Halloween.

Could be guys getting out and hunting then slacking off getting ready for the big rut push. Could be guys holding out for their target buck. Deer changing patterns etc. Whatever the reason there is a definitive lull in the killing fields in mid October.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The place I've been hitting hard has me and another guy on it and he only hunts Saturday's... I can see varying locations from a few ground blinds and if they don't move by me I'd see them moving on the other side of the farm.... Last week or so no real movement like I'd seen the previous weeks.... They're hiding in the corn and coming out after dark.... That buck that was searching last night hit every cornfield on that farm and worked it like a beagle after a bunny... He spent roughly 15-20 minutes in every area of corn....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Deer are moving somewhere. Might be a lull in killing. Deer are still moving. Reduced daylight movement in deer the last couple weeks has me a bit perplexed though.

I am heading out shortly to hang a rut stand. Should have been up already but gaining the right permission slips in the last month or so has slowed me down. I have the pieces of the puzzle I need now.

Rain moving out. Temps dropping. Deer internal mating clocks are ticking. Hunting a scrape line in the next few days should be productive for some of our members. Perfect scenario right now for evening kills or early morning scape check kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.