Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for broadhead recommendations

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
D3E88754-8627-444B-A368-249C60DDCCE1.jpeg
5E624029-11F3-4C64-B082-56010FEA9B0D.jpeg
BDBC0BC9-58C6-45FC-A425-CBF47DFA2019.jpeg

Looking for a good mechanical broad head for crossbows. Dustin and Jesse suggested two of the above, and a friend suggested the other. Anyone here use one that gives awesome blood trails? The last two deer I shot at left horrible blood trails (shot with rage broadheads)....last one I got both lungs and the top of the heart...only went about 80 yards but I was tracking scuff marks more than blood. I want to try a new broad head for next season.

Reactions: triple_duece

Buckkillr

Athens
View attachment 90377View attachment 90378View attachment 90379
Looking for a good mechanical broad head for crossbows. Dustin and Jesse suggested two of the above, and a friend suggested the other. Anyone here use one that gives awesome blood trails? The last two deer I shot at left horrible blood trails (shot with rage broadheads)....last one I got both lungs and the top of the heart...only went about 80 yards but I was tracking scuff marks more than blood. I want to try a new broad head for next season.
Have a buddy that uses the rage xtremes, always good blood. The last doe he shot looked like a hatchet hit it, BRUTAL!!!
I prefer 4 blade muzzy

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Cogz

Cogz
TX
I’ve been stuck on G5 Montecs - would go 125g for xbow if it were me. Lost too many deer with mechanicals hitting shoulder. Although the swhackers look like they have it figured out as far as penetration goes and rage always leave gaping holes but the rage 2 blades lost my loyalty in the past. Maybe i’ll go back but not yet.

I'll just say. I've shot a lot of different broadheads over the years. I switched to the Grim Reaper Pro Whitetail Specials two years ago or so. I've never seen a more efficient killing machine. Lol. Fly great out to 100 yds, leave a crazy blood trail and are sharp as all get out. I will say, it is def. a big broadhead that requires some poundage behind it, wouldn't shoot it in a lower pound/ shorter draw bow but, even for my stumpy 27.5" draw and pulling a tad over 72#. It had blown through some deer like butter. Won't ever switch again!

rooster85

Lake County
I ran montecs for a few years but never had good blood, even with seemingly perfect shots. I switched over to slick tricks last season and have shot 4 or 5 deer with them and am very pleased. A good friend of mine runs the same set up as me and punches through elk every year with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran montecs for a few years but never had good blood, even with seemingly perfect shots. I switched over to slick tricks last season and have shot 4 or 5 deer with them and am very pleased. A good friend of mine runs the same set up as me and punches through elk every year with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with Rooster. Too many horror stories about Montecs. Slick tricks are awesome fixed blades though

Over the years I've tried many 3 blade heads and one mechanical and I have to say I am sold on the 4th blade you find on the Slick Tricks. Just seems to punch a hole that can't plug up, at least on the few deer I've killed with them over the years. This year I picked up a pack of ST Viper Trick's for my son's lower poundage bow and I have been blown away by how well they fly for him. Out of his bow I can hear a little noise from my ST Standard 100's but those Viper Trick's make no noise and man they hit exactly where his field tips do. That and they are crazy fucking sharp!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've killed dozens of deer with slick tricks. Accurate as could be. I was anti mechanical as could be. I just don't have much faith in mechanicals or fixed blades punching through the shoulder of a mature buck. I weighed my options and decided to go with the Rage chisel tip extreme last year. I killed three deer with that 3 pack. This years doe and buck were same tip. They are devastating.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've killed dozens of deer with slick tricks. Accurate as could be. I was anti mechanical as could be. I just don't have much faith in mechanicals or fixed blades punching through the shoulder of a mature buck. I weighed my options and decided to go with the Rage chisel tip extreme last year. I killed three deer with that 3 pack. This years doe and buck were same tip. They are devastating.

If a ST won't make it through there's no way a rage will. Now if we're talking a crossbow under 30 yards both broadheads will have no problems. The problem people run into is a large two blade like a rage out of a compound and hitting something hard.

I say all that but I shot a buck at strouds with my elk setup and only got 6 inches of penetration. It was a ST ViperTrick and a total arrow weight of 465 grains. I didn't see the hit but that buck had good use of both front legs when we jumped him 14 hours later. I've racked my brain thinking what could have stopped that arrow and him still have use of both legs and be alive. If it hit the ball or the femur below the shoulder that would have shatered them. I have blew a ST through quite a few shoulder paddles and the heavy bone below it. The only thing I can figure is I hit him in the hip.

Chass

The Hills
I started using 3 blade muzzies. When I was younger changed to an expensive well marketed broadhead with bent blades, got me imma sucker. Doubt they make em anymore. Went back to 3 blade muzzies, then switched to G5 T3s about 6 years or so ago. I've really like them as they fly identical to a field point so I dont practice with them or my practice tip anymore so I've had the same block for the same amount of time. They make a new version of them that retain the blades better. I've yet to switch over as I still have plenty of good ones. I've had a few of the ferrules go thru more than 1 deer. Just get replacement blades and keep shooting. Might be better out there but I like these. Anything will do the trick if you put it where it's supposed to go.