Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Response to an Anti-Hunter's question

saddlepants

central Ohio
Thanks guys.

That one was pretty easy - some of the content and statistics were lifted and edited from internet articles I'd read while doing some research. Crows are such destructive bastards that it's an easy sell.

Now I just gotta work on my response to "How can you shoot an innocent deer that's done nothing to you?" (I hear that alot.)
Basically all I've got other than "they taste good" is crop damage and helping manage the herd to avoid overpopulation/starvation/disease.

Dannmann, I have a good one for that usually makes people see it in a differnt light.
First i ask them for there full attention then I ask a question of them to think about very carefully...the question is this
If You had the choice in life as to how you are going to die, which of these ways would you choose (only two choices)?
1) would you choose to be killed quickly while doing something you love to do , just living your life?
2) would you like to stand in line with your friends and family and wait your turn while watching , smelling and hearing there anguished cries of pain and fear?

They will always pick the first, and I make them pick, make them say that.
Then If they ask or not I explain that that burger or chicken sandwich or whatever we just had over this discussion had to die like #2. The chili I had for dinner had GOT to die like most of us dream for and gave life to more of Gods creatures just as did the cow or chicken but in a much more humane way. It lived a life of freedom and choice and natural food. Most of the time the person will usually say they hadnt thunk it thataway before. Then a few others need to be reminded that they also dont care to have wolves and mountain lions around, so those were eradicated so you can live here. We,lll then with removal of the Deers natural predators it is our responsibility to keep the balance in nature ourselves - and remind them of the deer in the overpopulated city parks that were starving and weaker in the gene pool because NOTHING hunted them. (and I stress nothing instead of no- one)

saddlepants

central Ohio
I always try to make people think about what they eat and there home and neighborhood first. Then I try to explain "balance" and "responsibility" to the land and these animals that once roamed freely over it.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Thanks guys.

That one was pretty easy - some of the content and statistics were lifted and edited from internet articles I'd read while doing some research. Crows are such destructive bastards that it's an easy sell.

Now I just gotta work on my response to "How can you shoot an innocent deer that's done nothing to you?" (I hear that alot.)
Basically all I've got other than "they taste good" is crop damage and helping manage the herd to avoid overpopulation/starvation/disease.

We all get that one. I work in a hospital with several thousand women. They are always asking me how I can kill innocent animals or how I can kill defensless animals.

I respond by telling them that the term innocent implies the lack of sin. If you believe in sin or matters of spirituality then you must understand that God put animals on Earth to support humans. If you believe in spiritual matters you must also understand that only human have souls, the part of humanity that has potential to reach heaven. Since heaven was made for humans only animals do not have souls. They are God given gifts for our purposes. They are also not defenseless. They possess physical capabilities far superior to ours. They are blessed with the power of flight, speed, endurance and the will to live that we can only dream of having.

And they are delicious.........lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No shit! :smiley_clap:

I tell you what, Dan... That was probably one of the most impressive, effective, and classy responses that I've ever read. It would have been 100 times easier for you to just ignore that question and go about your business as usual... But the fact that you took the time to explain the issue, in such a professional manner, really shows your character. You're one hell of a guy, Dan Good.

No shit! Well done... :smiley_clap: