Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Newer Bow for my Dad

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm looking into purchasing a newer used bow for my Dad here in a month or so and was wondering if you all could help with some recommendations. He has only ever owned two compounds in my life, the first being a Darton that is older than I am, and his current bow is a 10+ year old Golden Eagle. I'm thinking a good single cam bow would be perfect for him, since he has never shot a dual cam bow. Probably something that will max out at 60lbs. Thinkin' Mathews will probably be a good choice, but also thinking about the Diamond line. I'm also wanting to set it up with sights, rest, and a quiver. I know which rest and quiver, but not sure on the sight. He has always shot pendulum sights, so I would like to pick up something newer than the Keller pendulum he uses now. Any recommendations on a good single cam bow and a pendulum sight? Probably spend $400 or so on the bow alone.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Greg....I'm still digging my Iceman, but don't have the experience of many of the member on here. I don't have a pendulum sight, but my Trophy ridge V5 has verticle pins and I've been happy with it as well. AT has had some 09 Iceman bows around $400 last time I was on there.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'll make the same suggestion I made the other day, a Mathews SQ2 is good shape would be a good bow. I'd also consider the Switchback or Switchback XT. I know I'm partial to the XT, but you also know how well that bow shoots and how shootable a bow it is. There are some great buys out there on those bows as well.

Perfect example...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1382135&highlight=switchback

What draw does he have? I'll strip my XT and sell it to you!!! :D

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I bought my wife the mission menace bow and she has lost complete interest in it...250 and you can have it. She hasnt even pulled it back, only thing that has been added to it is a stabilizer...

its a lefty though..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
He's a righty, and I'm not real sure what his drawlength would be. I'm guessing 27.5 or 28. He shoots a wrist strap release, and he can shoot my arrows at 27.5", but they hang over his rest probably 2". I was thinking along the lines of a Switchback, or maybe a Diamond Marquis. I'd prefer solid limb over split limb.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I'd suggest a Mathews Switchback or a Diamond Marquis... Both are great bows and you can get steals on them now... I have also heard good things about the Mission line as well..Good Luck...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think a Switchback or Drenalin would be great bows for him in that price range, but definitely don't rule out Diamond or Martin. Is he dead set on a pendulum sight? If he just wants something with a single pin, maybe get him one of those HHA Slider sights.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
He's always used a pendulum sight. I bought him a four pin sight last year, and he did some target shooting with it, but went back to the pendulum. I don't think he's real good at estimating yardage. He's old school with his archery equipment. Up until two months ago, he was shooting Easton aluminums, and he wouldn't have switched arrows if I hadn't gave him half a dozen carbons.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a hindsight I would sell. I can't use it since I am right handed/left eye dominant. Well. . . I can use it, but still need to close my left eye. Pointless for buying a sight I intended on using with both eyes open.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
greg let me know if you want me to put on muh bow sniffin skillz and round one up for you.....

Gordo

Athens County
I bought my old man a vectrix a couple years back when I got mine. He likes it and is pretty old school. I could hardly get him to use a release, but he soon figured it was a must with newer bows.

All these newer bows are just flat out nasty compared to the old school bows of the past. Its hard to go wrong.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
greg let me know if you want me to put on muh bow sniffin skillz and round one up for you.....

I've been watching Archerytalk. If you happen to see a Marquis, Switchback, or maybe even a Drenalin in 28.5" draw for under $400, let me know. I'm not in a big hurry.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Talking with this guy now.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1355643&page=1

It's a Drenalin, 28" Draw, 70lbs, Truglo Slider Sight, WB Rest, String Tamer
$450 TYD

Check it out and see what you guys think. I will get rid of the WB and put a good drop away on there, prolly keep the sight for myself for 3D and throw another sight I have on there. See if I can find a matching quiver somewhere for a good price.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, I ended up talking with the guy for a while last night and bought the bow. It should be here Friday sometime. I'll take it over to him Friday evening. It has a 28" draw, but I'm afraid he may need a 28.5" cam. No big deal. Decided just to leave the WB on it and give it to him as is. I will shoot it first and make sure everything is good to go.

I talked to him today, and the bow he is shooting now is a Golden Eagle Ultra Evolution. Best I can tell is it's probably 15 or so years old, so the Drenalin should be a nice upgrade. Hope he doesn't kick my arse for buying him a bow!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, I ended up talking with the guy for a while last night and bought the bow. It should be here Friday sometime. I'll take it over to him Friday evening. It has a 28" draw, but I'm afraid he may need a 28.5" cam. No big deal. Decided just to leave the WB on it and give it to him as is. I will shoot it first and make sure everything is good to go.

I talked to him today, and the bow he is shooting now is a Golden Eagle Ultra Evolution. Best I can tell is it's probably 15 or so years old, so the Drenalin should be a nice upgrade. Hope he doesn't kick my arse for buying him a bow!

That's great, man. I'm sure your dad will be happy as hell! Let us know how it goes when you get the bow.