Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODRN to regulate coyote hunting?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The petition seems to be getting noticed.
E703E487-A37D-4BBE-86AD-7D01741A6619.png

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Could be the start of the unified voice that has been missing. As technology continues to shrink the world and gets word out there instantly, it only takes a small push like this issue for the ball to get rolling. It's all about laziness, and I'll be the first to stand up and say that I enjoyed being able to click a link and key some info....easy peasy!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sounds promising. Thanks for sharing, Brock. As far as the kitties go, that’s more difficult because bobcats aren’t widespread across Ohio like coyotes are, and they aren’t portrayed in the same light as coyotes...at least not from the general public’s perspective. A petition for bobcat trapping likely won’t grab the same amount of traction, at least not as quickly, as this more recent coyote petition. Karen the cat lady next door is fearful of coyotes, but has a sweet spot for all things “kitty.”

That sounds promising. Thanks for sharing, Brock. As far as the kitties go, that’s more difficult because bobcats aren’t widespread across Ohio like coyotes are, and they aren’t portrayed in the same light as coyotes...at least not from the general public’s perspective. A petition for bobcat trapping likely won’t grab the same amount of traction, at least not as quickly, as this more recent coyote petition. Karen the cat lady next door is fearful of coyotes, but has a sweet spot for all things “kitty.”

I know SE Ohio has a good population of them. While hunting in Ohio I have seen more bobcats than coyotes. I agree that there is a different perception from coyotes vs bobcats. I don't trap but it is my understanding that bobcats trap fairly easily compared to coyotes. We have had a bobcat season for a while in PA and right now it is 1 bobcat per hunter per year with a permit. So I wouldn't be expecting to have a bobcat season be anywhere close to the unlimited for coyotes.

Bigcountry40

Coyote fur price is up right now so I figure OSTA would like more coyotes to be caught when they are “prime”.

Coyote hunting with call and gun seems to have really exploded recently. The posts in FB coyote hunting groups are from a lot of new guys. Most don’t seem to know the regs very well.

Limiting the time those callers could be out would probably limit the overall amount of those that do it, helping coyote population.
I have noticed this well in regards to coyote hunters. No weapon restrictions (guys use bottle neck cartridges), coyote hunters can basically go any where they want, majority of guys wait till deer season is completely over to hunt them and its action packed - dogs are running them, you're using calls, pushing them etc. I also signed the petition

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Could be the start of the unified voice that has been missing. As technology continues to shrink the world and gets word out there instantly, it only takes a small push like this issue for the ball to get rolling. It's all about laziness, and I'll be the first to stand up and say that I enjoyed being able to click a link and key some info....easy peasy!
The petition seems to be getting noticed. View attachment 93932

Per our conversation a bit ago. Let's roll. Never to early to start putting the pieces together now with a targeted launch date. Like JB said, it's a big hill. But if TOO proved anything those years ago you won't find a more motivated & vocal base to get word out. Might be nice to support a DNR initiative for once instead of kicking them in the teeth, and I think this is something we could really get behind.

I get what you’re saying, and I don’t completely disagree. However we have to keep in mind that PETA and the anti’s want to ban trapping altogether. It’s inherently viewed as “inhumane” by many people, uneducated people. And in certain instances, it can be inhumane. That’s where the furbearer permit comes in. It requires folks to demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in trapping before they can legally go trap furbearers. It’s one of the legs we have to stand out when arguing our right to trap and the ethical standards we adhere to. If there were no permit, and therefore no requirement to demonstrate knowledge of trapping, the anti’s could/would have a field day with animal cruelty claims and rampant examples of dipshit trappers, especially in today’s age of social media. Is the furbearer permit an infringement on our right to trap? Maybe. But you can also say it’s one of the few things helping to protect that right. Just ask the folks out in California.

Keep in mind most states only require the purchase of a fur bearer's license, no educational class required. Ohio seems to be the only state I know of that understands there should be some sort of basic knowledge before running around setting traps and snares. Would it have made a difference in states like California? I doubt it though.

Reactions: jagermeister

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We used to purchase a trapping permit. Trapper education requirements to buy it. But it was not required to purchase any additional permit to hunt fox, coon or any other fur bearer. I’d like to see that again.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We used to purchase a trapping permit. Trapper education requirements to buy it. But it was not required to purchase any additional permit to hunt fox, coon or any other fur bearer. I’d like to see that again.

I for one would love to see raccoon delisted as a furbearer and the season open year-round. They're more of a nuisance and disease carrier than a valued furbearer

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I for one would love to see raccoon delisted as a furbearer and the season open year-round. They're more of a nuisance and disease carrier than a valued furbearer
Totally agree. The raccoon population is way more out of balance than our current coyote problem IMO. You can’t give the little bastards away.

Reactions: 5Cent

Chass

The Hills
I cant say I disagree with implementing a rule to have your trappers license which proves you have been through trappers ed before trapping anything. Really just makes sense. But that's for trapping, not shooting. Once you have been through the course then standard regulations prevail to determine whether or not you need a license or not. I went through the course a few months ago, learned a ton that I woulda been ignorant with had I not done it.

Closing the season though, that's idiotic. Ohio has a predator problem, and its gonna get worse before it gets better especially since Bobcats still have a free ride. Coyote hunting is becoming popular so I can see the additional money grab with a license sale that wouldn't of normally been purchased. But that's just that, an additional unnecessary tax the majority of HUNTERS wouldn't actually use. No different than having an unlimited coyote harvest tag. Which I wouldn't agree with either.

Keep in mind most states only require the purchase of a fur bearer's license, no educational class required. Ohio seems to be the only state I know of that understands there should be some sort of basic knowledge before running around setting traps and snares. Would it have made a difference in states like California? I doubt it though.
PA does make you take a specific class for cable restraints (snares). The trapping is taught during the regular hunter safety course but it is not an involved course or gets detail other than it does cover where and when you can use body gripping class.. The cable restraint class does get detailed.

Reactions: Big_Holla