Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official 2011 TOO Turkey Competition

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
How so?

If two members on separate teams hunt together, why should one be penalized for their teamwork?

It was done so that nobody is slighted by sharing or helping someone else. In reality it doesn't hurt them or anyone else a bit..

Here is an example... Say Huck and his two team members have scored. But you have been struggling the entire season and have yet to score for your team. Huck knowing he has plenty of birds may be hesitant to invite you over to hunt.. It would hurt him in the competition and quite likely tie the two teams....

However, if huck can also get credit for the bird he called in for you.. Why not invite you up.. Actually he now has an incentive to invite you up rather than a penalty.. You both got the points for the cross team assist, and you got the joy and satisfaction of harvesting a bird. Where without it.. Huck may not have invited you at all because he didn't want to hurt his chance of winning.

It was done to not only foster people hunting together... But to also maybe entice someone into inviting someone... And when you have guys inviting guys to hunt and share the outdoors together it's always a good thing.. Bonds of friendship can be made online.. But nothing solidifies that like inviting someone over to hunt and helping them shoot a bird in the face..

It really depends on how close 2 guys live to each other to be able to hunt together, and have compatible schedules which is very hard. Besides that most guys I know prefer to hunt alone. I don't see why if you kill 2 birds why each bird wouldn't count when the buddy system only kills one bird, yet gets credit for 2.......seems a little goofy to me, but whatever rules are rules.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It really depends on how close 2 guys live to each other to be able to hunt together, and have compatible schedules which is very hard. Besides that most guys I know prefer to hunt alone. I don't see why if you kill 2 birds why each bird wouldn't count when the buddy system only kills one bird, yet gets credit for 2.......seems a little goofy to me, but whatever rules are rules.

The "Most guys prefer to hunt alone" is the exact reason the bonus bird is in place. Not everyone has the properties others do. It was done in hopes that maybe those guys would share their knowledge, property and hopefully a harvest with a fellow TOOzer. In the end, it's not a contest that matters, but the friends, memories, and time afield won that counts... We didn't want to penalize one team for doing that, and giving them less of a lead. Take for instance my bird this morning.. Alex invited me over to his property, his bird, and he called. All i did was show up and pull the trigger.. Should he be penalized in the contest for that? Or rewarded? The bonus bird is just that, a "reward" for going above and beyond our personal self and helping others... I understand your issue considering you shot two birds. But you can still invite someone to hunt and maybe help them get one also. For that you would get your bonus points. Also.. True, many guys don't live close. But i bet you would be amazed how far someone would drive if you laid out an open invitation to help them.. No 1 person, or 1 team, can get credit twice for 1 bird. So it's not like "double points" Like it would be if we allowed people to claim both of their birds. Anyways. Hope that helps clear up some of the motivation and philosophy behind the bonus bird.