Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You r right Chad,the last 4 tiimes out havn't heard a gobble and have seen 2 hens with poults.
Usually when i start seeing poults the birds are pretty much done here.
Know a couple guys that killed birds this week and neither gobbled,one walked by and got shot and the other guy stalked his.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I know it's different everywhere but two of my buddies in the last two days have had birds gobbling their heads off after 3:30pm. One killed, the other wouldn't commit but gobbled constantly. Both hunting different locations.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I chatted with the boy I figured I'd heard shoot this morning. He was hunting in Pike Co. this morning, trying to get a buddy a bird. Apparently they have been trying to kill a bird down there all week. He said if they make a call the bird just walks off in the other direction. He's only been gobbling a time or two on the limb and then walking off with hens. The bird Mason and I have been chasing hasn't had a hen with him in the few days we chased him. He did have three jakes with him though. I think Mao is right, birds are different from one property to the next. My guess is that the property I'm hunting has nothing on it worth chasing now as I didn't hear a thing after the gunshots early this morning. Then again, if the boss was killed, there is a good chance there will be a lot of eager youngsters sounding off in the next few days. We've both killed one already, so if they aren't gobbling at first light this weekend, we will be packing up and heading to the lake!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Beautiful day out but havn't heard a gobble yet.
Sitting up on a flat on the ridgetop where the birds like to strut.
Took a long walk and no gobbles,pics are from behind my cousins place.Nice view,when he and his friends were younger they use to dive off those cliffs into the quarry below.

Attachments

• 0513161015.jpg
    0513161015.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 168
  • 0513161131.jpg
    0513161131.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 0513161131a.jpg
    0513161131a.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 163

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Could have shot one this eve. It came in silent. Had the gun on it but never saw the beard. I didn't want to shoot a jake just to kill one. There were more behind him, probably the big flock of jakes.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Hunted with Carissa this morning. Heard some gobbling but all across the road. Then the rain hit. As we were driving out we watched 5 jakes cross the road and head to where we were set up.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Could have shot one this eve. It came in silent. Had the gun on it but never saw the beard. I didn't want to shoot a jake just to kill one. There were more behind him, probably the big flock of jakes.

I checked a cam where these birds headed after our encounter. They were jakes. Glad I didn't pull the trigger. I'm not against shooting a jake but after already killing an LB I just didn't feel the need.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I woke up to hear the wind whipping and the rain pounding. I went back to sleep and got ready for the first cat tourney of the year tonight. One of my best buddies crawled behind a fan and reaped one running at him 6 steps. Giant Tom with almost 1.5" Spurs.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I woke up to hear the wind whipping and the rain pounding. I went back to sleep and got ready for the first cat tourney of the year tonight. One of my best buddies crawled behind a fan and reaped one running at him 6 steps. Giant Tom with almost 1.5" Spurs.
Congrats to your buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We are going. If there isn't one gobbling on the limb we are going home early.

Same here. Even if one is gobbling, I have to be home for church. Two years of confirmation classes for two of my kids. Today is their confirmation while the third kid has a soccer tournament. I suppose I better not miss church today.