Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day of dove

scottofalltrades

Picked one up this year too. Tried to go cheap in the past and got the wind power deals and was none too impressed.

No way I won't limit out now![emoji15]
I just bought a four pack of the mojo clip-ons. Let me know how the spinners work out.

Cabela's in Centerville has a display up that has two birds. They chase each other in a circle with wings flapping. Damned thing definitely caught my attention!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have found the decoys are largely useless on public land. Probably has something to do with the constant roar of gunfire and no safe place to fly past much less land.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jager,

Not sure that is the case there at Berlin It may be a gray area. The dog training grounds border are also there. I was out a couple of weeks ago getting Mack used to gunfire. GW came to check on me and I confirmed legality of during the gun outside of a season. He said as long as I was actively training a dog I was good.

That field not being far from there, I wonder if there is some leeway there? Definitely good to know though. I won't be taking him to any other WMAs anytime soon.
My guess is you were on a designated 'dog training grounds' chunk of the wildlife area. Anything outside of that is not legal. No grey area. Wouldn't surprise me if the wildlife officer didn't have a clue either.. but it is right in the hunting regs in black and white. Don't get me wrong... I'll be the first to admit that I've ignored this law too. But when I do it, I fully expect to get a ticket if I get caught.

scottofalltrades

My guess is you were on a designated 'dog training grounds' chunk of the wildlife area. Anything outside of that is not legal. No grey area. Wouldn't surprise me if the wildlife officer didn't have a clue either.. but it is right in the hunting regs in black and white. Don't get me wrong... I'll be the first to admit that I've ignored this law too. But when I do it, I fully expect to get a ticket if I get caught.
Either way thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. Always better to know .

WolfHunter13

Brock myself and a couple other guys meet up at paint Creek every year. It's always what you would expect with public land dove hunting , tons of doves and tons of people. I would highly recommend not taking the dog and taking some eye protection, i get peppered almost every year.

Is Paint Creek open during regular hours or is it like others places that you can only hunt after noon for the first 10 days?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck in the morning fellas! Lots of doves around here but this hard NE wind is going to make the shooting tough I think. I normally tote my 20 gauge but I'm going to opt for the 12 instead this time. Lol

Kempire

At West Branch 45 mins before legal light and the main lot was full to the gills. More shooters than birds.

scottofalltrades

Still haven't been there. I know they were not on the map for fields that the state plants. Good luck to you. I just landed in Detroit and hoping to hurry back to CAK.