Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day of dove

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe just left. He was nice enough to take Mason down to the field since I couldn't go. Townzen went with them. They killed their limit in the rain.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe just left. He was nice enough to take Mason down to the field since I couldn't go. Townzen went with them. They killed their limit in the rain.
It was great seeing you again buddy, it's a damn shame I don't get down there to visit you more than once a year. I was standing there in the field after shooting my limit watching Mason and thought to myself it's crazy that I can remember watching him run around that field when he was about 6 or 7 with a Red Ryder BB gun and he's 14 now. You raised a good young man there brock.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Silly question probably. Haven't hunted doves in years.... Do you need the Hip (Or whatever its called) number to hunt doves? Got in a discussion with a landowner today and he said you did need one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Damn, I would've come that way for a beer again had I known. Guess I should've known, it is opening day. Glad the boys had their fill!

We may get together tomorrow afternoon. I'll text you if we do.

Joe, always good to see you. Thanks a bunch for taking Mason and the kind words. I'm pretty proud of that kid, though I don't know that I've been much of a positive influence. He just does the opposite of what I suggest and that's working so far to his benefit. :)

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah years before when you bought your license in March you could call the hip number. This year your had to wait till July before you could call and get it.

MountNMan

Dillion only has 1 field this year and it Sucks! They cut nearly all of the sunflowers down, except 1 strip about 1 foot wide with maybe 10 sunflowers in it. We went this morning. Plenty of others there, but not really a big field, maybe 15 acres. We probably saw a total of 10 doves all morning. In the past they had 2 to 3 fields and left a couple of big rows of sunflowers in each field. It was great hunting back then.

scottofalltrades

Dillion only has 1 field this year and it Sucks! They cut nearly all of the sunflowers down, except 1 strip about 1 foot wide with maybe 10 sunflowers in it. We went this morning. Plenty of others there, but not really a big field, maybe 15 acres. We probably saw a total of 10 doves all morning. In the past they had 2 to 3 fields and left a couple of big rows of sunflowers in each field. It was great hunting back then.
I hear you man. They moved the field at Berlin and I've never hunted dove in OH, but I've always seen other places leave some of the sunflowers up.

I got to Berlin this morning extra early because my buddy rode in to squirrel hunt with me. Had another hunter with two mojo spinners and a call, he left early never saw a dove. Group of three with a ton of spinners and other decoys, left early without firing a shot. Daughter and I tried walking around and saw a few out of range.

Haha. Coming home saw a pretty good size flock of them. Infuriating. I might try West Branch or Zeppernick though. I figure if I drive all the way there I'll go after a goose.