Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day of dove

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
15 acres is a HUGE dove field by the way. Most of them around here are 4 or less.

Mowing the sunflowers is a good thing. It shatters the seed and makes them easier for the birds to get to. Most areas just leave some sunflowers standing for hunters to his in. You're only getting about 2 good days out of any public dove field so you might as well put all the seed on the ground.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I hear you man. They moved the field at Berlin and I've never hunted dove in OH, but I've always seen other places leave some of the sunflowers up.

I got to Berlin this morning extra early because my buddy rode in to squirrel hunt with me. Had another hunter with two mojo spinners and a call, he left early never saw a dove. Group of three with a ton of spinners and other decoys, left early without firing a shot. Daughter and I tried walking around and saw a few out of range.

Haha. Coming home saw a pretty good size flock of them. Infuriating. I might try West Branch or Zeppernick though. I figure if I drive all the way there I'll go after a goose.

Scott have you ever been too highland town?

scottofalltrades

I just looked at that place on the interactive state map and wow. I see they planted a lot of fields out that way. Is that by you J? Might be worth the hour drive

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I just looked at that place on the interactive state map and wow. I see they planted a lot of fields out that way. Is that by you J? Might be worth the hour drive

30-40 minutes south of me, have deer hunted and bass fished the lake and when dove comes in it always sounded like WWIII....

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
there were way more dove hunters in kentucky this past weekend then there were deer hunters, no plugs in the guns down there and some guys had extended tubes it reallly did sound like world war three.

MountNMan

15 acres is a HUGE dove field by the way. Most of them around here are 4 or less.

Mowing the sunflowers is a good thing. It shatters the seed and makes them easier for the birds to get to. Most areas just leave some sunflowers standing for hunters to his in. You're only getting about 2 good days out of any public dove field so you might as well put all the seed on the ground.

Yea, it's a large field, it's long but only about 75 yards wide. The whole field wasn't planted with sunflowers, just a small portion of it.Last year there were 3 fields in this one area. We always have terrible luck when they cut all of the sun flowers. It's way better when they leave a couple of rows about 7 feet wide by 50 yards long still standing. We slay doves most of the season from the same field when the they are left with standing sunflowers. Plus, you can hide right in the sunflowers and shoot from there. A buddy of mine limited out 2 days in a row last year and never used a decoy. Talked to a guy who had just been to Powellson Area, and he said they were the same as Dillion. He never even saw a dove there.

Last edited:

scottofalltrades

No worries. Any day we get to hunt is better than a day of work, even when we don't kill anything. Besides, all the skunked hunts is just giving me a chance to scout areas that I've never been.