Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pellet Grills

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm about to assemble mine. 👍

I have two options for no power other than a generator. Those that have been in camp to see my stainless steel cooking grate know how sweet that thing is. As long as I have fire, I'm good to go. My in-laws also bought me one of these for Christmas. Haven't used it yet, but it will definitely work for cooking in a time with no power.

Screenshot_20200405-095204_Chrome.jpg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We had the pulled pork Saturday night, then the leftovers last night, damn that stuff is good.... Wife’s looking around at prices last night. We’ll probably pull the trigger on one here shortly. I told her one we like is a big investment for just the 2 of us but she’s looking more at family/friend gatherings down the road.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I intend to keep mine in the garage and it'll certainly be an investment that pays back for years to come with not only regular meals for me and the girls, but for family and friends. My smoker and other grill were the same $ out of pocket as the Traeger, so it was a comparable swap in terms of MSRP. By the time I sell my other stuff and collect from my dad, I'm out $200. Given that I cashed out 51 hours of vacation when I left my other job, I spent 6 hours of that vacation on it. Pretty easy deal for me to make.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Realizing I'd need more pellets and with limited options locally, I ordered a summer's worth of fuel from Amazon today. I intend to do my own blend and call this the "Appalachian Blend". My dad has an electric concrete mixer that I can combine it inn and I have plenty of feed bags for storage. Once I can assess our local market for cheaper options, I'll go that route. For now, delivery is my only real choice. I usually need 3 propane refills, which is roughly that same price as the pellets. We'll see how the ROI shakes out.

Screenshot_20200406-185628_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200406-185628_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200406-185628_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 151

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Amortized over the 18-month no interest period, assuming I wait that long, I'm in that thing for $41.78 a month. That's before I recoup my $ from my other units. Tough to justify the MSRP on these things when it's out of pocket in one lump sum, but when you really break it down over time and how much we use these things, it's really a no brainer investment IMO. Say you get 10 years out of it, that's $7 a month over it's life. Through in 2 bags of pellets per month and for less than a family meal at Applebees, you have one of the better peices of cooking equipment you can own.

Who's next on the pellet wagon?!?