Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pellet Grills

OO2

In the Uplands
Turned out pretty good. I think it’ll be worth doing again. Didn’t have the best crust when it got to 160*. Had roughly 3-4 hours @ 250 set point. Any tips on why?
IMG_4310.jpeg

Finished it to 204 internal temp for 4 hours @ 250/275 set point after putting it in a foil pan with 2 cups apple juice and cinnamon sugar. Paired nicely with the Hawaiian rolls.

IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
IMG_4416.jpeg
I done went and did it. Offer I could not pass up. Used three times, already “seasoned”, and I did not have to put it together, lol. Better than new by that metric. This is the 700D4E. Got it for 1/3 the price new. 😀

Two dry brined whole chickens on the grate for my maiden voyage. Hard to fuck those up under any circumstance.
Seems to be very well made for this price point.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
View attachment 195025I done went and did it. Offer I could not pass up. Used three times, already “seasoned”, and I did not have to put it together, lol. Better than new by that metric. This is the 700D4E. Got it for 1/3 the price new. 😀

Two dry brined whole chickens on the grate for my maiden voyage. Hard to fuck those up under any circumstance.
Seems to be very well made for this price point.
Welcome too the dark side, buddy! 😂

Jamie

Ohio
I have to say that for only having this for a few hours, it did a bang-up job on my chickens. I mean, this was as perfectly roasted/smoked chicken as I can ever manage by any means. Grilled some Naan bread at the end, too, which turned out great with just a whisp of smoke on it. This was a used item, however, barely used. I'm pretty sure I pushed more smoke in 1 1/2 hours than this thing had ever made before based on the color of the inside of the lid before I started and after I was done. Auger, fan, PID control all functioning as they should. Now that I know for certain I did not buy somebody else's problem, I'll give it a better workout. Ribs next weekend, maybe. Anxious to do a Texas style brisket. I'll give it a serious good cleaning, tighten some bolts and screws , buy some more various flavors of pellets and get down to business over the next few months. I think this is going to be a great addition to my arsenal of cooking/grilling/smoking apparatus. Not the be-all-end-all for me, but a useful, welcome addition for sure.

This model has a clean-out door to remove pellets from the hopper, but how in the world do you get pellets out of the auger if you want to toss them or change flavors?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have to say that for only having this for a few hours, it did a bang-up job on my chickens. I mean, this was as perfectly roasted/smoked chicken as I can ever manage by any means. Grilled some Naan bread at the end, too, which turned out great with just a whisp of smoke on it. This was a used item, however, barely used. I'm pretty sure I pushed more smoke in 1 1/2 hours than this thing had ever made before based on the color of the inside of the lid before I started and after I was done. Auger, fan, PID control all functioning as they should. Now that I know for certain I did not buy somebody else's problem, I'll give it a better workout. Ribs next weekend, maybe. Anxious to do a Texas style brisket. I'll give it a serious good cleaning, tighten some bolts and screws , buy some more various flavors of pellets and get down to business over the next few months. I think this is going to be a great addition to my arsenal of cooking/grilling/smoking apparatus. Not the be-all-end-all for me, but a useful, welcome addition for sure.

This model has a clean-out door to remove pellets from the hopper, but how in the world do you get pellets out of the auger if you want to toss them or change flavors?
Shop vac the excess out of the auger. That’s what I did.

Reactions: MoonLab and Jamie

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Nice. Ive been doing an upgrade with my smoker. I took the mild steel broil cover out and made me stainless steel from work. gasket seal I had on there for two years had started to come off. Time to renew it. It does a hell of the job to hold more smoke and heat in for me.
IMG_2963.jpeg
IMG_2874.jpeg
IMG_2880.jpeg

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Mine has a prime button. I clean the firebox out with shop vac then I empty the hopper. After I dump the hopper I just press the prime button to dump the ones in the auger into the cup. I then just scoop them out.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
Mine has a prime button. I clean the firebox out with shop vac then I empty the hopper. After I dump the hopper I just press the prime button to dump the ones in the auger into the cup. I then just scoop them out.
this is what I did. mine has a "feed" button which operates the auger.

Reactions: Quantum673

Jamie

Ohio
Ok, so my bargain pellet grill is really clean, fully functional. The hopper was full of I don’t know what kind of pellets or how old when I picked it up, so I got some Traeger pellets on the way home and tossed the old ones before I lit it. I’ve become very fond of cherry and oak for smoking, but hickory and apple will always have a place. What kind of pellets do you all prefer and where are the good places to get them?