Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SHOUT OUT TO STACHE!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
He comes quickly to protect making it through the hole to fast for any shot. Back to the brush for a moment.

One of the buttons didn’t feel as he had enough coming from where they just were, Edging in to gain a look.
he comes out of the brush to push the unwanted visitor away. I soon realize that the same 18 yd hole was gonna come into play. Picking my spot on the deer as he moves slowly up the hill he stopped for a moment slightly quartering away, I’m slowly increasing string tension as I feel my gloves finger hit my anchor, I see that blue and yellow fletching spiraling through the air.

JOHNROHIO

There was one problem, I had lost my focal point and being cramped up for so long , that arrow sailed right over his back in a corkscrew motion that only someone that shoots traditional would understand when your form was all wrong!

With all the commotion of the job at hand he didn’t have a clue. Quickly sliding another arrow from my quiver, I gain my bearings I’m following him back as I face the tree again to see her bedded to my left him following suit 20 yards down wind.

Fuck! Here we go again!

JOHNROHIO

Standing there thinking through what just happened and what’s gonna happen I look at my phone to see that it’s a little after four.

How the fuck is any of this going to work, it’s taken 8 hours to make it this far and times coming close in the scheme of things looking back. Normally you’re thinking it’s getting prime time but shit I’m 8 hrs deep into this.
Nothing is going to change, I figured I might get one more chance if I was lucky. About that time I look behind me, upwind and I see a little buck coming through the brush. Thinking here it comes. See him and the doe were bedded in a depression not being able to see upwiyjust smell.

As that little buck is cold trailing the left sent from when she stood for him, I could see the discontent as he could smell the other coming. As he started stirring to stand I started playing his moves out on how he was going to go about this. Fuck I e gotten to know him pretty well over the last 8 hours. I’d looked back to see the little guy on how he was moving in and looked back to see him on his feet.

I new what he was gonna do, it was almost as if I laid the track out for him to follow. I picked the spot I was going to shoot him in to the tree. Playing my sequence in my head I picked my spot on a tuft of ruffles hair just a few inches behind the shoulder that would be facing me as he turned completely. Drawing back once again to feel my finger buried into my teeth. As that arrow left, at ten yards I see that arrow burrow into his side to the fletching.

JOHNROHIO

Upon impact he hit a dead run south away from me. I’m looking at my shot thinking it’s a few inches back from my spot but surely it’s still good on his reaction at the shot. Just about then he stops and hunched and I knew that he was slightly too on the shot putting that arrow threw some guts. But knowing his initial reaction that I had gotten some good stuff also.
I sat watching with binos evaluating him as he stand there. No blood from the mouth , I had missed the lungs by such a small amount on later inspection. Had to have gotten the liver I’m thinking to myself.

By now he is wobbling as he try’s to stand for ten minutes eventually bedding down. All I can do is sit and watch as darkness sets in I’m still able to keep an eye on him through binos. Watching him strugyto keep his head up as his antlers would fall to the side for him to pick his head back up again.

I had told sean what had happened and that I’ve seen dead deer stand up and run more than once. That with his head still up an hour after the shot I was going to slip out under the cover of dark , and asked if he would join me in the morning.

JOHNROHIO

The next morning knowing where he was last night knowing he would most likely still be there as I watched him try to stand twice and unable to. I slipped back into my stand in the dark waiting for the crack of light hoping to get a visual on him.
I sat there continuously start through binos as I had that spot burned into my memory unable to see him. By now sean was sitting at the road waiting for the go ahead. All i could see was his ass legs still tucked as if he were still bedded. His head was behind a tree perfectly to not be able to see if it was up or down. The only thirty do was put the sneak on a dead deer that was gonna run as Sean watched from my stand.
As I crept up I was finally able to see that it was over.

The whole damn thing was over!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
F0B1E7A1-E304-4D5E-8356-B8C9BA6A8DE0.gif

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Dude, I am real proud of your accomplishments. It's hard to even put into words the abuse you took during this whole thing. I mean, all 4 of us were pretty sympathetic:ROFLMAO::cool: as to your situation. "Shoot the deer John....Shoot the fucking deer!" Everyone else would have to read the texts to understand. But we know.... you did what you had to do and stuck it out to the end. You Rock John!

JOHNROHIO

Rick you guys can take Richards granola bar and......
“ oh nothings going on around me, let me whine about can’t find deer. Oh well I’ll just sit here and nibble on this granola bar, you hungry john? I bet let me drink some water too. Oh I’m nice and toasty in my 1 million grain thinsalate bibs these seats are nice on these millenniums , I’m all comfy. You can’t feel anything john?”