Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
(in a non gay way) that is some good looking wood. Never would have guessed 138 rings. That will burn nice once seasoned.

I haven't posted in a bit. Still working on my 14 dump truck loads of walnut tops. Been burning a tank of gas or two at a time. Most of it is 6-14" diameter. I'm not even splitting it. It isn't fully seasoned yet. Getting good burn time in the boiler though. Trying to save my oak in case February brings a bitter cold blast. Ran four heaping dump bed loads in the Kubota RTV to my staging area today. Went thru a tank of gas in the Stihl 361. Satisfying.

Buckmaster

Portage
Some 27” oak today. We pressed the tractor well.

Attachments

• 1F6A375A-EB32-41B0-B4F3-9F2447171717.jpeg
    1F6A375A-EB32-41B0-B4F3-9F2447171717.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 142

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
Just a reminder to keep your flues clean with hot fires and sweep when needed. I havnt heard the cause of fire but this guy burns from early September to June smoldering fire generally with triple wall chimney on the outside of the house. They are lucky it was daytime when it started....I nuked my chimney again today after seeing this.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great reminder. Happens to someone every year.

I'm glad I've saved my good and seasoned oak up until now. This week and next are going to need the extra BTUs. Bitter cold.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Reached the limit today. The top section of my chimney was getting plugged. Old standing ash straight from the woods to the stove has been the heat source four the last 4 years. Last nights draft
image.jpeg
doesn't look bad but smoke was starting to come out of the door when Adding wood to the stove. A small amount out of a joint in the stove pipe as well. So I swept her tonight. A lot more creosote than I want but that's the outcome of 24/7 burning with uncovered wood. These deep cold nights don't help cooling the top of the chimney either.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally started burning from my big pile last week. It’ll be interesting how long this colder weather will stick around so I’m super happy I have plenty wood in reserve.

Bowkills

Nw oh
My 1st big tree died on my property since I've lived here. I've cut one large ash that a 20in bar was in inch to short to get to the center. I'll have to get a bigger bar to get this one. It will fall in the ditch just behind it. Going to need help but it can wait until next winter. Sucks to have a big one die.
image.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
my stove hasn't been completely out and cold for 6 weeks. I swept the chimney in December and glad I did. my stove is so efficient that I have to work at it to get too much creosote while burning regularly for two or three months. the length of this cold stretch has put a hurtin' on my wood pile. I'm gonna end up burning about 4 cords. already been through the better part of three with another month to go, at least. I've had enough of winter now...

Reactions: finelyshedded

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I pulled off this bark today before dropping this ash tree and had a owl come shoot out towards my head I bit ago. I feel bad for taking its home but I need heat. Looks like blue jays and other birds where it's diet. It was the size of two doves put together. 1st time doing that.

Reactions: finelyshedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 1st big tree died on my property since I've lived here. I've cut one large ash that a 20in bar was in inch to short to get to the center. I'll have to get a bigger bar to get this one. It will fall in the ditch just behind it. Going to need help but it can wait until next winter. Sucks to have a big one die.View attachment 121151

yeah, you’re gonna need a bigger boat.......I mean bar!😳

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
wood hauler back on its feet. Was having a hesitation while starting. Until it wouldn't do anything turning the key one day a few miles away at a friends house. He pulled me home. Started at the battery bought a new one (old one no longer would charge). Replaced all the fuses not relys but rotated as they were all the same. having different things electric going on anyway but wasn't the cause. I tried crossing the with a screw driver, had power to it but just after loosening and retightening wires it didn't go. Took the starter off bench tested it. The wire from the starter to the solenoid wasn't getting a good connection. I couldn't get to it while on the truck. So wire wheeled everything shiny again and bingo. So sAved some cash on this one.