Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
It's what I call, 'a start'. Today's pile!

Made it home easy peasy with a full pickup load moments ago. Need to grab the rest of it tomorrow morning, which should be two more full pickup loads.

View attachment 132091

Anyhow,,,

Wanting to take advantage of this weekends cooler weather temps by cutting down two more large trees on our property. Trying to get ahead of all this business this year cause I want to hunt, and I have a new home to build so, I can't really afford to be messing aound if I want hunting field time.

After all this wood sits for a couple of weeks, I'll be hand splitting and stacking, which gets me in top shape for the new hunting season.

The plan is to fill my barn carport completely full of cut/split/stacked wood for the shop woodstove before the end of this September.
Squirrel that shit away for strouds lol

Reactions: Big_Holla and "J"

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Today's wood pile!

Dead tree
20210802_124535.jpg

20210802_194223.jpg

Wife at the wheel in the pickup applying tension on slings attached to the tree to keep it from falling on our other good trees across the driveway
20210802_194337.jpg

First cut that will make tree fall where I want it
20210802_194422.jpg

Dropped exactly where I wanted it to
20210802_194502.jpg

Worked on it all afternoon
20210802_194631.jpg

Today's wood pile
20210802_192537.jpg

Tomorrow's clean up and get all the wood to the barn
20210802_192614.jpg

Remanence of the storm from last Friday that I cleaned up
20210802_193958.jpg

Stroud's event tree is next and it's a good one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve been cutting ash trees down like crazy. I’ve also had half a dozen more cut down professionally in the last couple months.

Having said that, a local man, a friend, had a tree service. He worked mostly in the Cincinnati area the last several years because he could charge a higher rate than he did locally. He had been cutting professionally for 30 years. He dropped by another friends house last Sunday evening to take down an ash that had become a worry. He said it didn’t look too bad so he’d go ahead and drop it without his crew present. The tree came apart and killed him instantly right there in our friends yard. Be careful with these dead ash trees guys!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Damn @brock ratcliff , sorry to hear about your friend! That's a shame!

Just so happens, the next tree I will be taking down is a 100 footer Ash too. Good advice on the Ash trees.

I have taken down nearly all of them on our property, and this is the last one. It finally died just recently. It was fine in the spring, but now it's gotta come down. That last storm we received last Thursday scared me a bit, because this tree is tall and big enough to reach our cabin. So, I will be cutting her down either today or tomorrow.

20210803_070523.jpg

I've been cutting down trees which seems like forever. Growing up on the largest finger lake in NY, we had to burn wood, and a whole lot of it. Then I did a bunch of it when I was a lineman in the military, to maintain all the high voltage lines throughout the forests and mountains in 'Big Sky' country. My last tour was at. Malmstrom AFB - SAC, and we had over 200 launch facilities spread out over 2,000+ square miles that had to stay online 24/7/365. A lot of of Overhead Distribution Systems throughout that beautiful state of Montana I tell ya.

I also had several lawncare clients where I removed many trees for them, it was part of one of the services I provided with that business for about eight years.

So, yeah, tree work can be pretty dangerous work and you really have to know what your doing when your dealing with any of the bigger stuff, especially around any electrical high lines or property that you don't want to screw up.

Again, real sorry to hear about your friend. That had to be horrific for your other friend to deal with at the time.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sad news indeed and eerily similar to a death of a local timber barron earlier this spring. He'd cut trees for 50 years and stopped to cut one for his elderly mother. It snapped and killed him in her front yard. Crazy how you can survive a near lifetime around dangerous things, then one little slip costs you.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
To your point, Jesse, I never gave a thought to cutting ash trees down that weren’t in danger of landing on my house. That’s why I cut a bunch of them myself. We had a big sucker that was leaning safely away from the house. I felt pretty good about cutting it down. Grabbed my saw and headed to the base of the tree... then I got a bad feeling. It sat in between dog kennels and I just kinda felt trapped with no good escape so I called a guy. He’s taken down several for me recently. When he arrived I told him I’d almost done it myself but opted out at the last minute. Without hesitation he said, “Good choice. This one would have killed you”. He came in with his lift truck and started at the top cutting small pieces and working his way down. Not because it was in danger of landing on anything of value but because he said there was no way it would hold together to be felled from the ground. I’m glad I was willing to pay my way out of that one.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
To your point, Jesse, I never gave a thought to cutting ash trees down that weren’t in danger of landing on my house. That’s why I cut a bunch of them myself. We had a big sucker that was leaning safely away from the house. I felt pretty good about cutting it down. Grabbed my saw and headed to the base of the tree... then I got a bad feeling. It sat in between dog kennels and I just kinda felt trapped with no good escape so I called a guy. He’s taken down several for me recently. When he arrived I told him I’d almost done it myself but opted out at the last minute. Without hesitation he said, “Good choice. This one would have killed you”. He came in with his lift truck and started at the top cutting small pieces and working his way down. Not because it was in danger of landing on anything of value but because he said there was no way it would hold together to be felled from the ground. I’m glad I was willing to pay my way out of that one.
Excellent lesson right there, Brock…. One we should all think about while felling trees….