Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Opener

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Mallory and I got out and did some Squirrel hunting this weekend. I got 6 today and she got 5 yesterday and 2 today. All headshots with a scoped .22

20200906_090331.jpg
20200905_105154.jpg

Bankfish

Took my son and his buddy, who just passed his hunter safety course, to the farm for some squirrel and dove hunting. My son knocked 3 doves down while his buddy and me went to a hickory flat. He ended up with 3 squirrels. Should've had his limit, maybe next time. He was mighty happy with his first one.
20200907_194113.jpg
20200907_175625.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Today was my squirrel opener. Pretty good hunt on a beautiful morning. I bought this H&R Greenwing Special at our 4-H Endowment dinner when the guy I thought I was bidding against, wasn't bidding anymore! It's been a damn good gun. Shooting 3" Kent steel 2s through the MOD setup and it'll drop them at 30+ with ease. Green for days like today when they weren't leaving the tree tops.

IMG_20200919_093246_931.jpg

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Nice! What rifle are you shooting? I love my marlin 39 but the trigger is heavy. Really accurate but it's a bitch holding steady and waiting for the hammer to drop. I'm thinking about a dedicated for squirrel bolt gun. Anschultz 1761 is what I'm leaning towards.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Nice! What rifle are you shooting? I love my marlin 39 but the trigger is heavy. Really accurate but it's a bitch holding steady and waiting for the hammer to drop. I'm thinking about a dedicated for squirrel bolt gun. Anschultz 1761 is what I'm leaning towards.
It's a Marlin xt22. I like this little gun. My only bitch that I've accepted now is ammo affecting accuracy. I'm shooting the Remington golden bullet, since it's the only thing available. It was the worst bullet when patterning six or 7 different Ammos to see what it liked the best a few years back. I threw it at paper the other day and the flyer bullet just makes my head shake. I'll get a couple shots on there mark then just have one fly like 3 inches off at 30yrds. Ccis or Ellys never strayed for me. ive completely wiffed on few shots with the squirrel not budging then a brain bust. At least I'm hunting.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Jamie

Ohio
every .22 I own, including pistols, shoots and cycles CCI standard velocity 40 gr lrn the best. I have no idea why. even better than expensive target ammo like Eley. I've made sure to keep up a good supply of it.

Reactions: giles and "J"

Bowkills

Nw oh
It's sad when I have a 500 pack of ammo I don't care for and I'm telling my boy we can't plink with it cause I'm not sure when our next chance will be to get any...

Reactions: "J"