Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stalker Wolverine, functional art

Creamer

Athens
Why do they call it a struggle stick? Because it ain't always puppy dogs and rainbows. I collapsed big time on this shot. 20 yards, 3d deer, slightly quartered away. Clean miss, into the weeds and woods. I do love the walk of shame to get the rake.

After a brief "wake up dumbass" pep talk, I jumped back on the horse. Same shot, next arrow, done correctly.

This kind of shit will make a guy lose his mind. :confused:

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
In case anyone still wonders if Trad Vanes and feathers fly the same off the shelf...

I highly doubt I will carry feathers this fall in the quiver. The vanes fly great, they are waterproof, and dead silent both in flight and when they brush up against something.

Reactions: giles

Creamer

Athens
I don't shoot groups a lot, usually I shoot single arrows. Today I went group. This was a walk-back group, 10-20-30-40. They actually walk down the target with the 40 being a grazing shot to the belly.

Last 4-arrow group at about 18.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Creamer

Athens
I wound up shooting a third time yesterday before dark. My shot is feeling pretty good right now. I pumped a dozen or so into a softball sized area on this target and called it a night.

I went out this morning and did virtually the same thing. This bow and I are getting along great right now. It's a good feeling.

Creamer

Athens
I tried a new cheap cordovan tab from 3Rivers, a Bateman 3-under. I'm not going to give up on it too quickly but my first two days with it did not go well. Shooting went in the dump. I switched back to my Widow tab and all was right with the world again.

I also added a small piece of Velcro to my limbs where the string contacts the limb. I felt like I might have been getting some string slap noise. This really made a difference to my ears.

I got past my little shit-shooting period, feeling good again now.

Reactions: giles

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't feel bad. I bought an expensive cordovan tab... and did not care for it. What a waste. The calf-hair Widow tabs are really hard to beat. I found that the cordovan, while good and slick, just seemed too thick for my preference. I like having more "feel" of the string. Having said that, I actually prefer the Black Widow stick-tight glove over a tab. For some reason I just shoot it better.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
I've gotten myself back on track. Focusing on the basics, following the script, things go well. I'm wearing out the pocket on my 3D target the past few days. It's not got much more life in it.

I ordered some NiceTarget synthetic printed targets online. I don't shoot broadheads at the 3D, anyway, so I might as well take advantage of the range bag I will never wear out. I ordered a few deer versions, a couple of turkey targets, and a couple rabbit ones. They should be here next week.

https://www.amazon.com/NiceTargets-...d=1&keywords=nicetarget&qid=1594756597&sr=8-2

Creamer

Athens
So the 3d has been declared legally dead.

The NiceTargets came yesterday, so I stapled one up to the target frame on the range bag. After I took this, I also used some spare rope to tie the bag back a bit. If the bag swings on the frame it can pop the printed target loose (if it's stretched tight).

The rabbit target fits well on the little Rinehart 18 in 1.

Creamer

Athens
Are they like a burlap type of material?

Plastic of some sort. I've shot the deer target maybe 15 times and it hardly shows. I don't expect them to last forever, but I am interested to see how long they do last. When the mosquitoes are bad (which is often), I use the 18-in-1 up closer to the house where the bugs aren't as bad. It will be nice to be able to shoot spots on it, or rotate it around and shoot the rabbit.

Reactions: Big_Holla