Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stalker Wolverine, functional art

Creamer

Athens
Shoot groups, they say. Groups are fun.

I had more Trad Vane arrows than feathers, so I did these in feathers.

Creamer

Athens
I saw on an Instagram post yesterday, a guy mentioned he anchors his thumb on his jaw. That got me to thinking, what the hell do I do with my thumb? After I got home, I ran out with the bow and found out I must have been sort of tucking it out of the way, away from my face. I have always anchored the tip of my middle finger to the corner of my mouth, which I hear all the time isn't a 100% consistent spot. I found out last night I can still anchor my finger there, and tuck my thumb knuckle into my jaw. It felt surprisingly good. I shot several at point blank to get a feel for it, then backed up. I shot really well with it. Part of me, a big part, thinks just the act of adding a second thing to the sequence slows me down a tad more, which is never a bad thing. Anyway, it worked for me. We'll see how it works in the coming days.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Also forces you to align your shoulders. I anchor with the thumb knuckle at the back corner of my jaw, index at the corner of my mouth. Often when I have shot way too many arrows I start getting erratic. Without fail, due to fatigue, my index is still making it to the corner of my mouth but I’m short drawing and it’s evident due to my thumb not getting all the way back to my jaw. Two points of contact are always better.

Creamer

Athens
Also forces you to align your shoulders. I anchor with the thumb knuckle at the back corner of my jaw, index at the corner of my mouth. Often when I have shot way too many arrows I start getting erratic. Without fail, due to fatigue, my index is still making it to the corner of my mouth but I’m short drawing and it’s evident due to my thumb not getting all the way back to my jaw. Two points of contact are always better.

I feel like (and I'm no expert) my biggest issue is my release. I have a tendency to lose tension and my hand fly away from my face instead of back. Last night, my release position felt much better using the thumb knuckle to the jaw. I'll have to video myself to see what difference it really made, if any. The video don't lie (unfortunately).

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The release only becomes an issue when the shoulders are out of alignment. The drawing arm elbow creeps forward and it becomes impossible to let the string go in a straight line. Video from above if you can and it will be evident.

Reactions: Creamer

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One more thing related to “release “ issues. If your shoulders are aligned, you cannot make a bad release unless you creep forward into “holding “ vs pulling. If you feel the skin on your jaw pushed forward at full draw, you are holding and not pulling. Thought it might help Be award because it is not noticeable if you are not looking for it.

Reactions: Creamer

Creamer

Athens
One more thing related to “release “ issues. If your shoulders are aligned, you cannot make a bad release unless you creep forward into “holding “ vs pulling. If you feel the skin on your jaw pushed forward at full draw, you are holding and not pulling. Thought it might help Be award because it is not noticeable if you are not looking for it.

That's one thing I liked about the thumb contact on the jaw, feeling that cue.

Creamer

Athens
I didn't have time to film last night, I only shot for 10-12 minutes, but damn it felt good. I had a couple of low "misses," still on the target but a little lower than I'd like. My left/right was great, no lateral misses.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Creamer

Athens
I got impatient (and a little concerned) about the length of the backorder on the Cutthroat broadheads I ordered in July. I had to have something ready to hunt with in a month so I picked up a pack of Magnus Stingers.

They flew like darts for me.

Yesterday I got notice that the Cutthroat's have finally shipped, so I'll have plenty of broadheads to fling this fall.

Creamer

Athens
Got some saddle reps in at lunch today.

First group, just shot what I had in the quiver. One got a touch high on me, the rest were in the yellow.

This was the last group with the target to my left.

I also shot a group (as I face the tree) to my 6 o'clock, directly behind me. Forgot to snap a pic but it was the best group I shot. Good practice with the body positioning needed to shoot behind me.

Creamer

Athens
More broadhead reps this morning. I have been shooting both the Stingers and the Cutthroats. They both shoot well with my setup and I'd like to shoot deer with both this year, if possible.

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
I swapped back over to Cutthroat heads yesterday.

Round two last night on the bag was really good. I'm shooting probably the best I have all summer right now. This was my last arrow at 18. The previous 3-4 were in a baseball sized group right around this same spot.

Creamer

Athens
Any difference in penetration?

I think they're pretty similar. I shot the more solid side of the Rinehart with the Cutthroat yesterday, the more shot out side with the Magnus. So you can't really compare the pictures. You definitely feel a difference when you pull the single bevel. The Magnus you can pull straight out, the single bevel you can feel how the head rotated going in.