Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tactacam Reveal Cell Trail Camera....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love my Browning non-cell cams. Been damn good cams with good customer service the one time I needed it. Someone suggested Spypoints Live Chat for troubleshooting. I've spent 30 minutes doing all the Troubleshooting 101 I've done 10 times already. Waste of time and still not fixed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's 100+ feet to the road and that car is doing 30+ mph. Pretty impressive.

4a223259-bb42-402d-9156-8f96545b66bd.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What’s the skinny on the data plans for these tactacams? How much per month for how many pictures?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is impressive. Cars coming off the hill are always 30 mph or better. Same thing the other direction, but usually faster. This thing captured every car down our road last night and they're all center frame. But here's the rub with cams and that's longevity. I loved my Spypoints for the year they worked. I'm mother fucking them now. If I come back to this thread in 18-24, I want to still be positive about them. But, as our late friend Ted would say, there's always a but... out of the box, this is really well built, simple to use, quality camera.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What’s the skinny on the data plans for these tactacams? How much per month for how many pictures?

I chose the $5 month plan for 250 pics. I placed it on a trail and that should last me the month. If not, you can just go into the app and up your plan at any time.

If you stay with the 250 plan, any extra pics after 250 get stored on your SD card.

Obviously, if you are going to put this over a bait pile, you better get the unlimited because 250 could be gone in one night.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I like it so far. What I don't like is the lack of activity on the trail I placed it on, but that's not the cameras fault. LOL

I'm just getting doe right now. Apparently the woods behind my house is a convent or some shit.
I was afraid I would get too many pics where I put mine. It slowed down a lot...likely because of acorns.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
P
I like it so far. What I don't like is the lack of activity on the trail I placed it on, but that's not the cameras fault. LOL

I'm just getting doe right now. Apparently the woods behind my house is a convent or some shit.
Problem is, those 250 pics per month won’t last if you put it on a trail with a swinging branch or leaves, or in most of my cases, in the marsh with cattails blowing around. The empty pictures I get, even when the cam is set on “low” sensitivity, is absolutely infuriating. It’s such a love hate thing. I love the convenience and low impact of the cell cams... But I really hate paying for the data, especially “empty” data. In my opinion all of these cell cam providers are raping hunters with their data fees and they know it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
P

Problem is, those 250 pics per month won’t last if you put it on a trail with a swinging branch or leaves, or in most of my cases, in the marsh with cattails blowing around. The empty pictures I get, even when the cam is set on “low” sensitivity, is absolutely infuriating. It’s such a love hate thing. I love the convenience and low impact of the cell cams... But I really hate paying for the data, especially “empty” data. In my opinion all of these cell cam providers are raping hunters with their data fees and they know it.

Yes! I've had quite a few empty pics. My notification goes off and I get all excited only to see weeds and leaves. LOL

You can pay for only the months you want. It's not an annual obligation.

Reactions: jagermeister

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No complaints so far. Fair amount of empty pics, but I paid for the unlimited plan, so now big deal there. Pic quality is good and the trigger time is plenty fast enough. The app could use some work, but it functions well enough I suppose.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
P

I love the spartan cam I have. Data plan for their app is $36 per year plus Verizon $5 per month...so it costs me $96 for the year. Not bad for the thousands of pics/year round coverage. Only downside is the price of the cam/lockbox and solar panel/battery.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love the spartan cam I have. Data plan for their app is $36 per year plus Verizon $5 per month...so it costs me $96 for the year. Not bad for the thousands of pics/year round coverage. Only downside is the price of the cam/lockbox and solar panel/battery.
I personally don’t have any reason to run a cell camera 12 months of the year. I pay month-to-month and only run it from September to January. Yea my monthly cost is higher, but the total for the “year” is lower.